Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hogtunes Tweater Pod

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 08:31 PM
Bobshx
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hogtunes Tweater Pod

I just bought pod and need to get it painted.I have 08 FLHX in crimson red sunglow and need it matched. I live in upstate SC and looking for someone local and dependable to do the job.Also what would be a fair price for this work. Thanks for your help.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:39 PM
CLASSICRYDER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we paint them all the time but your major cost is going to be the paint which you can only get from harley and they'll only sale you a quart.....

Old 08-31-2009, 11:16 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobshx
I just bought pod and need to get it painted.I have 08 FLHX in crimson red sunglow and need it matched. I live in upstate SC and looking for someone local and dependable to do the job.Also what would be a fair price for this work. Thanks for your help.
Find an auto body shop that has a PPG mixing station and up to date PPG computer software--they use it all the time to match paint for auto repair/paint and the HD color formulas are in the software by HD model year and paint name. They can provide the paint formula and mix it in the needed quantity for your job. If there isn't an auto shop nearby, contact the PPG automotive paint distributor. They will have the same software and paint mixing capability (to supply shops that don't have the PPG mixing capability and software at their shop).

When I did my recent paint job, I considered HD red hot sunglo and candy red sunglo and the local PPG jobber and the auto shop I used looked up the mix forumlas for both colors. I didn't use either color, but they have the information and capability to mix what you need.

The sunglos have a pearl solid in the tinted clear coat that goes over the base coat and it includes "Emberglo." Its an expensive component to the forumla for the tint coat and the auto shop or distributor may have to order some to mix the paint per formula.

The sunglos are a tri-stage paint: base coat, tinted clear over the base, and clear. Be prepared that the paint will be more expensive than good old HD vivid black.

Good luck with your project.

Old 09-01-2009, 06:25 PM
Bobshx
Novice

Thank's for the info.I'm still looking for painter.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobshx
Just start a new thread saying something like: Need painter in (insert largest local city/town name).

While you are waiting for a reply, check the auto shop listings on the web in your area for one with a PPG mixing facility and/or the PPG distributor so you can source the paint. Heck, you might even stick the pod in the saddelbag and ride to shops and ask them if they can do it and what they'd charge. I've used auto shops twice for painting (#1--Ultra King tour pak, SG rear fender and fascia, inner and outer fairings; and #2--complete re-paint of the bike) and both did an excellent job.

Any good auto shop could easily shoot the pod and achieve an excellent result. If the shop can do good work on high-end autos (Benz, BMW, etc.) they won't have any difficulty meeting your requirements. Your problem may be that the shop won't want to do such a small project. To stimulate interest on their part, riding your bike to the shop and showing them how the pod fits on the bike may prove helpful.

Good luck with your project.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:54 PM
THABULL
Road Master

Depending on what part of the upstate your from this guy is in Statesville,NC around a 2hr. drive from you and does awesome work! http://www.peterscustomart.com/default.aspx

Old 09-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Bobshx
Novice

thank you for the advice.I'll search the web some more and check the above painter and see what we come up with.I just wanted to get it done while I was waiting on my inner fairing to arrive from dealer.Once again,thank you.