Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

sirius radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 07:33 PM
jwp234
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy sirius radio reception

I have a 07 FFSE road king. I just installed the Sirius Radio m/c kit. I only get one or two bars of reception. The same unit is hard wired into my truck I get 3 bars. I lose reception sometimes with the bike kit. All connections are tight. Any advice?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:43 PM
HawgriderPa
Road Captain

which sat receiver are you using?
also.. It would be helpful to know which state you live in.. the satellites are over the southern US.. the farther north you are, the harder reception is.

Also.. where is the antenna on the bike? I mounted mine on top of the fairing in front of the master brake cylinder, but some guys have it mounted under the fairing.. either location seems to be ok for reception. If you're in the northern US, and riding west with the antenna mounted on the north side.. your body could be blocking signal; also, trees and large buildings will block signal.

I'd make sure that the antenna jack was pushed all the way into the receiver.

http://i659.photobucket.com/albums/u...erPA/dash3.jpg

Last edited by HawgriderPa; 08-31-2009 at 07:47 PM.
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where is the antenna mounted?

Steve

bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 534 Likes on 383 Posts

Where is the antenna located? Out in the open or hidden?

Old 08-31-2009, 07:45 PM
HOGNIT
Tourer

i think its all in the small anttena. i have the same kit with one or two bars and very seldom does the radio go out. usually in heavy wooded areas, otherwise i think it's awsome.ran to sturgis and never went out

Old 08-31-2009, 07:58 PM
Heath
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my antenna behind my windshield setting on the fairing and that was no good. I put it on the faring just to the left of the windshield. Held on with velcro. Reception is good. It has to be in the open somewhere.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:17 PM
bradsULtd
HDF Community Team
Received 534 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by heath
i had my antenna behind my windshield setting on the fairing and that was no good. I put it on the faring just to the left of the windshield. Held on with velcro. Reception is good. It has to be in the open somewhere.
+1 ....b

Old 08-31-2009, 08:29 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your using that little stinking antenna that is magnetic based, it has a magnet for a reason. It needs a minimum of 6" by 6" or so metal surface to be a ground plane for that antenna to have any gain at all. Inside my fairing I have a metal plate mounted off the front and forward of my radio, and the XM antenna sits on it. It gets rather good reception. I have thought of changing out to a marine unit ones like a fiber glass ball bat to mount on the rear bag bars or a semi unit. Both look horrid but give better overall gain then the dinky magnetic mount units.

Old 09-01-2009, 07:51 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

My magnetic antenna that came with the radio works well stuck on top of the radio inside the fairing. Other then the normal drops going under dense trees, it works great....

Old 09-02-2009, 05:55 AM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I fooled around with the small Sirius antenna that was included with the "motorcycle installation kit" for a couple of years and could never get a reliable signal. Finally I bought this one:

http://www.antennaworld.com/satradio/

Cost about $40 deliviered (believe I bought through eBay.) I fabricated a base that allowed it to be mounted using a RAM mount to a ball mount on the handlebar. This setup always gives me three bars of signal (max on my old Sirius Sportster.)

This is what I use on my Ultra but there's no reason there would be any difference on a RK; if anything it would be even better since there's no possible obstruction from windshield or fairing. Satellite signals are very weak and almost anything can obstruct them.

Quick Reply: sirius radio reception