Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need serious opinion

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:05 AM
MODCOBRA
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hyfly1
Ilike the underarmour boxerjocks better than the LDComfort shorts. My boys ride better in them and the underarmour is less than half the price.
Totally opposite for me. The LDComfort shorts are the best investment I have for long daze in the saddle. I have UnderArmor, Pro-Player and nuttin compares to the LD's.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:17 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

How did this post about seats turn into a underware dicussion?

Old 08-31-2009, 06:20 AM
SPARKY01
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just bought the zep from chicago hd and love it. Sits you up a litle but ok. 6'1" and 280 lbs. Here...

Old 08-31-2009, 06:32 AM
Beancount1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myred55
I have an 09 Ultra and I can't stay on the stock seat for more than 45 minutes without getting butt burn. I've tried furry seats, air hawk seat, gel seat but nothing seems to help although the air hawk helped a little. I'm thinking of investing in a Road Zeppelin seat. One is now available for the 09's (part 51072-09). I've checked around and seems Chicago HD has the best price, $582.00 including shipping. From all my reading on the forum, it appear the Zep seat could solve my sore butt problems.
Anyone have a bad experience with the Zeppelin? Anyone advise against purchasing the Zeppelin seat?
I found that wickers shorts specific to motorcycling help a lot (www.wickers.com). Moisture is what causes butt burn in many cases and these wick away the moisture. You may want to try the underwear first before investing in an expensive saddle.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:42 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by myred55
No, I have not. Did a lot of reading on the sundowner and found the response to be 50% pro and 50% con. From all my reading on the Zep seat I found about 95% pro. I hate to spend $300.00 on the sundowner only to find out it doesn't help. I'm hoping to get more info on the Zep seat, I think I would rather spend the additional $250.00 if it works.
I think you'll find that true of ANY seat being discussed.

There is NO "magic bullet" no seat that will cure everyones butt problems
Corbin, Mustang, Day-long, C&C, Mean Cities, etc. I'm a CORBIN man.... works for me, too dang hard for others.

Most everyone I know, will buy a seat, try it, then discover it isn't for them. then sell it on EBAY. Look there before buying new.

There was a similar post eariler this year. Rider moved up to a Touring bike, and commuted 25 miles a day.
He was disappointed , when he took off on a long weekend, and was saddle-sore after a mere 350 miles in 3 days. I doubt it was the seat, more likely he simply just wasn't used to the time spent.

Sometimes ya just gotta put in the time, to build comfort

Old 08-31-2009, 07:05 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,088 Likes on 3,646 Posts

The underwear make a lot of difference because of skin shear...If you skin is always stretched it will tend to want to tear (shear) if your *** slips n slides easily there will be less shear and less skin fatigue....Blood flow is the other trick....Beads help, air awk helps "butt" the best is being in good physical condition ...the thicker and stronger the muscles the better the blood will flow. The Zeppelin works because it reduces the pressure on the skin...If there is less than 32 milligram of mercury of pressure on the skin, the blood will flow if more pressure than that it closes the capilaries and actually starts the process of decubitus (bed sores)....Some people like me will have to get off the bike every hour and walk around , hydrate and let the blood flow...I want a Zeppelin seat but i can't afford it for now, maybe later this year...I use a air hawk with a piece of thin foam and a sheepskin on top...I can do some 60 mile days but it gets tougher...

Old 08-31-2009, 07:24 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's a recent thread on the Zeppelin seat.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...elin-seat.html

Old 08-31-2009, 07:48 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Many of us suffer "butt burn" after riding for 45 minutes-hour. It is much more common as the summer temps climb and perspiration sets in. In most cases men wear cotton underwear which is fine for comfort but terrible when it starts to absorb perspiration. Before you pop for one of those $500. seats why not try a pair of bicycle shorts? They replace your underwear, so don't wear both. They are made of a spandex material and wick the moisture away from your skin, which is a good thing. They fit snug and they hit you a couple of inches above your knees. Most importantly, buy them about 2 sizes larger than what you would buy in cotton drawers because they do "tighten things up", so to speak. It sounds wild but you will not believe how comfortable they are, especially when riding in high temps. They can be purchased in sporting goods stores for anywhere from $25-$50 a pair. Personally, I go to Walmart and get them for $10.00 a pair in their Starter Brand. The cheaper ones work just as good. They are kind of hard to find in Walmart. Just ask a clerk for bicycle pants. Those bicycle dudes know a good thing when they see it. They peddle around for 5 or 6 hours a day in the heat of the day on those skinny little seats.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:58 AM
audettd
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely right on...bike shorts are the "cats meow". A lot of time the discussions on seats are solved by wearing the right gear. Its not going to cure 100% of the problems stated here..but it will cure most of them. Technically speaking you don't want a seat that is to soft (to much pressure on the nerves and tail bone). Try using either the Under Armour shorts or bike shorts and see if this helps. Its a minimal investment and might save you hundreds on a new seat. I have an 09 EGC and I love the stock seat..just did 3800 in the hot south and I had zero issues with my seat. I did add a driver backrest during the ride and that helped my lower back big time but that's another thread. Please give the "shorts" a try and post what you think

Old 09-01-2009, 02:11 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

Go get some Under Armour compression bike shorts, and try that first. Did the trick for me. No bull. They really help. Even black. I'm getting another pair --- in white, this time.

Quick Reply: Need serious opinion