Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike or House

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:24 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I got married when I was 18. I had very cheap, junk toys. All my friends wanted cool toys and nice rides, said it didn't matter where you laid your head down at night.

I built my first house, lived poor, raised a couple of kids. Built more equity than I ever imagined possible in my home an property. At the ripe old age of 36 I was able to start buying the toys I always wanted without financing them for years upon years.

I remember giving a guy a ride home from a military school in '94. We were both just married a few years. I was breaking ground on my new house, he was using his savings to buy a new heritage softail. He said his bike would be a better investment than the house he was thinking about buying.

I have paid for my house three times over and have bought and paid for two new harleys. He is still riding a '94 heritage and renting.

It is a personal choice, but those who take care of business first and do the toy thing later end up with business taken care of and many, many more toys a few years down the road.

Dennis

Old 09-01-2009, 09:08 PM
Fat Bill
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey... I'm married with kids and I'm only miserable some of the times. Big Garage on the new house would work nicely bro. Like someone said you need a place for all the toys. We all need a toy box. HHuugghh? Then we will get two new classics. Because I gotta pay off my Bob (and sweet talk the wife) before I get another bike. Some stealer will give us a deal on two new 2011s. Just tellin you.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:30 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Like I tried to explain to my last wife, "Horses are the last thing you buy, and the first thing you sell." She didn't listen, so she is back living with her mother and flat broke.

What do horses have to do with Harleys? They too are totally unnecessary and at the bottom of the priority list.....but nice to have when you have everything else....I've got everything else and now I'm looking to add a third HD to my stable.

Buy the house first....DO NOT get married!, then buy all the scoots you can afford and don't borrow money against your home to do it.

Friend...you need to listen...and you need to remember there is a reason the average HD buyer is 46 years old. He takes care of business first, then buys his dream scooter.

I'll pass a little secret on to you. "You make money when you buy something, not when you sell it." What that means is never pay market rate for anything including houses and vehicles......Always wait for a STEAL, then steal it....In that fashion you can always sell it for more than you paid for it-especially if you use cash to buy.

Last edited by oinker02; 09-01-2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:45 PM
Jahillsr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of good advice on here. In a few years you will be thrilled to have followed it.
Good Luck!

Old 09-01-2009, 11:25 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When I first got in the Navy, I met am old fart in a seaside bar in Bermuda....Early 70's...I was an oiler on a tin can...highly mechanically inclined and very innocent-born of poor folks who couldn't feed me properly, but honest and helpful to my core.

We got to chatting....He seemed a lot like my Dad so therefore I listened to him and confessed my dreams to him....after a few rounds, he invited me to stop by his "Boat" on my way back to my ship....His "Boat" turned out to be the largest luxury yacht I've ever seen to this day.

He was an old gray millionaire who dressed shabby and hung out in seaside bars and chatted with common folks when he felt he needed someone to trust. Turned out he had a problem with his diesels and it also turned out I could fix them, but I worked my *** off doing it while my shipmates chased *****, swam and got drunk.

I worked for three days fixing his **** unpaid, but when I left he asked for my driver's license number, SSN, date of birth and permenant address. I trusted him with that info.

Many months later I got a hand written letter from him. He had opened me an offshore account with just enuff money in it to open it. In his letter he outlined all he had learned about money and women and business and people. He suggested that I should pay myself first and showed me how to do it, and also insisted I never ever ever ever ever tell anyone about the account whether married or single, and that I put whatever I could in it thru my life and detailed how I could do that secretly.

Since then, I've been around the world twice and divorced 3 times. He was right about a lot of things, especially money and women. But most of all, he was right about who to trust.

Last edited by oinker02; 09-01-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 09-01-2009, 11:44 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master

Agree with 99% of the posters prior to me. Buy the house with a garage, and put your 883 in it now. Bigger, better bike later!!!! Can't beat the house market now.

Old 09-04-2009, 11:41 AM
sporty06
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is it that people paying rent think they are not paying the property tax? Do they really believe that the landlord is kind, gentle and generous enough to pay the property tax without including it in the rent.

sporty06

Old 09-04-2009, 05:10 PM
hondo1
Tourer

[quote=TBirdEd76;5512071] I also realize that it is a good time to buy a house, probably can't afford to do both.......

Maybe you can.

If you qualify under the Economic Stimulus Bill you get an $8,000 tax credit as a first time home buyer if you buy a house before December 1, 2009. Interest rates are very low on houses so buy the house and take your $8,000 credit and 883 as a trade in and get you a used bike of the model you prefer.

Old 09-04-2009, 07:25 PM
robbie52
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

If you get the house, you will have a wife and kids, and you will never own the bike you want. Think about it.

Old 09-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm think'n that if you're not sure what's the wisest choice right now, then you might as well just get the bike. House is a bigger decision. Better to be darn sure.

Quick Reply: Bike or House