Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike or House

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 03:13 AM
suey
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

buy a big 4 bedroom house and rent the other rooms for 300 or more each and go buy your street glide

Old 08-31-2009, 03:25 AM
88racing
Road Captain

Like others have posted before.
"Buy the house first!"

Old 08-31-2009, 04:41 AM
fxdxrider
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got to be the house. I was 23 when I got my first house, kept the bike I had at the time (Suzuki 750). Bikes for most of us (or me at least) are toys but my wife and kids have to take priority and they need a home.

Look at the choice another way - I'd sell my bikes to keep my home but I wouldn't do it the other way round.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:20 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

I've owned 1 house in my life. Got out from under it at the first opportunity. Never again, but that's just me.

I'm much happier in my cheap little appartment, being totally debt-free, having a credit score of 800+, owning my 2 H-D's and throwing $1500/month into savings. Of course, I'm single with no kids and will never change that, so that's probably why I'm able to get along OK.

But I seem to be in the minority here. To each his own according to his needs.

Last edited by jpooch00; 08-31-2009 at 06:30 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:48 AM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the house. I've owned four and each doubled what I paid for them, including the one I'm in now -- even in this recession. You already have a bike, just not THE bike you want. It's hard for a guy in his twenties to think well into the future, but you've got a pretty good head on your shoulders for even pausing long enough to ask. If you buy a bigger bike, you'll just **** money away on chromey nonsense anyhow.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:21 AM
Fingernip
Cruiser

Definetly get the house if you can. That was my plan but found my credit score too low to get the loan i needed. Got the harley and plan to wait until my car note is paid off next october and try again.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:08 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHGLIDE
Although I own a house, house ownership is over rated IMHO. In some places like Southern California you can rent for way less than you can own. Invest the difference in the stock market and I'd wager a bet you'll be better off 10 years down the road as long as you invest wisely and continually. Good luck either way!!
I find this statement well....Not very well thought out!!
1st...Of course you can rent CHEAPER than own..Isn't that a no brainer?????But making a landlord rich...is there any other reason to be a landlord???
2nd.The stock market!!!....Come on...at least in real estate you know where your money is at!!!
BUY the house!!!!This is a GREAT time to buy, alot of great deals!!!JUST dont overdo it!!! Make SURE you can afford it and put that rainy day money away and DONT touch it!!
You can rent and save money,NO Taxes,NO Insurance...But you must do something SMART with the money you save or you will never get ahead!!!! I just DONT trust the stock market...Good Luck...You are young,ENJOY IT-youth will be gone before you know it!!!!!

Old 08-31-2009, 07:20 AM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As the others have said go with the house.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:21 AM
Anthony8858
Road Master

DON'T BUY EITHER ONE!!

You already have a bike. Ride it some more.

Keep saving your money. Both of your options will quickly drain your bank account.
A house is a huge financial burden, and responsibility. You may still have some "fun" left in your youth.

You're young, and very subject to a rapid change in your life.

Old 08-31-2009, 07:53 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts

How 'bout - don't ever buy a house, get married or have kids. These are the three most advocated things that you're programmed to do and also the most likely to bring financial and emotional ruin. Cynical, I know, but its a fact.

You're free right now, stay that way and be in the happy minority!

Flame away, y'all!

Quick Reply: Bike or House