Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike or House

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 09:23 PM
FLHGLIDE
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although I own a house, house ownership is over rated IMHO. In some places like Southern California you can rent for way less than you can own. Invest the difference in the stock market and I'd wager a bet you'll be better off 10 years down the road as long as you invest wisely and continually. Good luck either way!!

Old 08-30-2009, 09:27 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I love my SG but I have to tell you it is a better time to buy a house. Your bike won't appreciate but it is likely that the house will. Besides, why throw money away on rent. You can always wait until the house appreciates and take out an equity loan to buy the bike
+1

Well put. My first bike was a used Softail Springer that took constant work just to keep it running. I had owned it for abut 5 years when I decided I had to have a new bike. Instead I bought a house and a year later I refinanced, pulled out 15k and bought a shiny new ride cash. Worked out well for me. Hopefully will do the same for you. Never know for sure what's coming but I can't see the market dropping much more at all and it's about time for it to start heading back up. Even it the house drops 10k in the first year, that's probably about what you'd pay in rent and have nothing to show for it anyways. Hell I bought my current house at the absolute wrong time 2 years ago. House next store just went up for sale for about 20k more than I paid. Figure they'll have to drop some to sell and I'm guessing I'm about even. With the tax right off and figuring in the hassle of renting, I figure I'm ahead. Just my opinon.

Although I own a house, house ownership is over rated IMHO. In some places like Southern California you can rent for way less than you can own. Invest the difference in the stock market and I'd wager a bet you'll be better off 10 years down the road as long as you invest wisely and continually
While that may have been the case for people who have bought recently I have to disagree. The first place I bought was in San Clemente, CA (about halfway between LA and San Diego) and came within 15k of doubling my money in just under 3 years. Timing and details (location, condition, location, market, location, etc) are huge factors but if you can weather the downturns owning your own home in rarely a bad idea. They mnay drop short term but they have almost always come back higher that they were in first place.

Last edited by RKKY; 08-30-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 09:28 PM
old skool1983
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

get the house and make sure it has a BIG garage

Old 08-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Glenn W
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
........... when you own the garage, you never have to move yer tools.
listen to this one, grasshopper. he is most wise

Old 08-30-2009, 09:57 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i agree, motorcycles are great, but they're very expensive and aren't really necessary. the first things that should be taken care of is having a house, food, etc. a bike is far down the list of realistic needs. if you keep your priorities straight, life can become much easier, take care of the basics, the toys will still be available when you're ready for them. i had an old friend tell me a long time ago, "take care of the providing yourself with the things you need, and the things you want will show up when the time is right." he was a very wise man.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:27 PM
sporty06
Road Captain

Paying rent or making a mortgage payment, either way you are buying the house. The only difference is who you are buying the house for. You pay rent you buy a house for someone else. When the house appreciates you make larger rent payments.

You make a mortgage payment you are buying the house for you. When the house appreciates, you have a more valuable house that you can borrow money on or sell. Either way you win.

When you pay rent someone else wins, which means you.......

sporty06

Old 08-30-2009, 10:32 PM
SeniorChief56
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 17,512 Likes on 5,067 Posts

get rid of the girlie bike

Old 08-30-2009, 11:03 PM
Born2cure
Road Captain

The fact that you even asked that question shows a maturity beyond 23 you'll do good in the house then you will have a garage to put the scoot in when ready. With your understanding of prioritys you will have the house and the scoot before you know it. Good luck and enjoy that 883 ride safe

Old 08-31-2009, 02:24 AM
Airborne350G
Club Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by groupw
........... when you own the garage, you never have to move yer tools.
Unless you are in the military... I own a house... but I also have moved 14 times in the past 22 years...

And to the original poster... Buy the house... Get settled and then buy a new bike.

Old 08-31-2009, 02:29 AM
roadking762
6th Gear

buy the house 1st!!!

Quick Reply: Bike or House