Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bike or House

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:09 AM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts

This is a question? Seriously? C'mon man, you can't live in a motorcycle so the answer should be pretty obvious. I'm surprised you even asked the question. Homes are appreciating assets, motorcycles are depreciating assets. I could go on with a list of a hundred reasons, but I won't; I'll stop here.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:41 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by bcarr
Your bike won't appreciate but it is likely that the house will. Besides, why throw money away on rent....
........ you're 23. Are you established in a career that will keep you in your current town for 5-7 or more years ? Have any interest in or likelihood of having/wanting to move to a different town/state/coast ? Buying a house in todays economy can be a very limiting move for someone who's got a lot of life altering decisions yet to make. Homes may be very buyable right now, and could be very unsellable w/o financial pain if any abrupt changes to your professional life occur in the next few years.
....... there's nothing unamerican about renting until you've gotten your life's direction determined. Don't let real estate make your decisions for you. Get the bagger, figure out some of life's questions w/an open vista surrounding you, make your own decisions about where you want to go, then pull that trigger on where you want the roots to grow.
....... been there,.. didn't do that ...& have often thought of what was lost by making that decision.
..... but since you asked this question almost a year ago, i figure my advice is just pssn in the wind........... oh well.

Last edited by groupw; 05-12-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:22 AM
bennenrkc
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a 22 year old who graduated a 4 year program and bought a house when I turned 20 I can say I am glad I bought the house. It is costing me less than renting was I have a garage now, and an my bike. We are doing great, my wife and I. I am in law school, and only working part time, and we are doing fine financially, largely because I bought the house. I have almost 2 grand more paid off of my house than I am supposed. Trick, pay your mortgage on the fifth ( or what ever day before the figure interest for the month) of the month prior to being due instead of on the 30th you save the interest for that whole month on the amount of principal in the payment. I am actually hoping to move to another town in iowa to follow my career dreams upon completion of law school, and I will try to borrow from the same small town bank when I move, hopefully even with the additional student loan debt I acquired during law school, will not be a huge factor because I have always made my payment ahead of time. And for those that think I am stupid for having the student loans and the bike, the loans are not drawing interest when I am in school and six months after do to them being subsidized. At which time they will start bearing interest I will have enough cash saved up to pay them all off. So I got to have my bike on the gov. dime. Which is great, though I don't think I am entitled to it like some just taking advantage of what is being offered. But enough about me Cudos to you for getting a house, it is a good thing, and make sure when picking a wife there are 2 criteria, one that you can live with, and one that either brings alot of money to the table or better yet one that is willing to work to support your joint dreams and goals.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:20 AM
ANIMAL03
Grand HDF Member
Received 757 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheese Head
I must be the odd man out on this one. I say get the bike. I'm a home owner and if I could ever unload the money pit, I will NEVER buy another house. Worst "investment" a person can make. If you think your bike costs a lot to maintain, just wait untily you own a house...new carpet, new windows, new roofs, routine maintenance just to keep the house standing. Make sure you have enough in your savings account to do an emergency replacement of your furnace when it dies in the middle of a Saturday night in February and you have to call the heating guy on a Sunday to come replace it. At that point you can't take time to shop around for a deal because the kids are freezing. Of course about that time the hot water heater will probably need to be replaced as well. Don't get me started on the taxes. My overall tax burden has sky rocketed since becomining a home owner, property taxes, school taxes, municipality taxes etc. All that is on top of all the income taxes you pay. Don't let anyone lie to you about how home ownership will reduce your income tax liability. It will make a small dent in your income tax liability; but, not enough to cover all the extra taxes you will have to pay...your overall annual tax burden will go through the roof.

There are several advantages of renting over owning a home:

1. Freedom to move. Move whenever you want when renting. If you own, you are stuck with bad neighbors because you probably won't be able to quickly sell the house for what you owe. This also applies if you have to move for a job opportunity. It is likely that you could end up stuck with the house or coming up with a boat load of cash at closing just to pay someone to take the house off your hands. +1 for renting - ease of moving.

2. Heat dies. Call the landlord. His problem; his expense.

3. Roof leaks. Call the landlord. His problem; his expense.

4-999 Any problem...Call the landlord. His problem; his expense.
i agree 1000% the house will be a bigger money pit than the bike will ever be period.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:38 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Congrats on the purchase, I hope you didnt take title of the home with the girlfriend as tennants in common or something similar.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Fat Bill
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats Bro. I hope i get invited to the house party.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:02 PM
hawkmaneg
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 23 I had the Harley but not the house . I am 51 now and my house will not be paid off for another 10 years I would have been smarter getting the house at 23 ,it would have been paid off no mortgage , which would allow me to get a new FLHTCU .

Old 05-12-2010, 09:35 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

I would get the priorities together and become home owner before a toy owner.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:50 PM
EasyriderFI
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

House with the garage. Once the market turns around the house will buy a couple of new bikes.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:09 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just be sure not to get over your head with mortgage and upkeep costs with the new house.

Quick Reply: Bike or House