Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 06:21 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts
Default Fuel problem?

I bought a 1998 ultra classic about a month and a half ago. It is fuel injected and has about 25,000 miles on it. Since I bought it it has run really good and I put about 2,000 miles on it so far. Today though it just isnt running right. When I get on the gas it really hesitates and seems like the engine is missing. Also I noticed that at idle my rpms went from about 800 rpm to about 1300 rpm. When I give it gas either stationary or to speed up, the engine just falls on its face. So far I pulled the spark plugs and they looked good and I also put some heet in the gas tank to eliminate the possibility of moisture in the gas. Any Ideas what the problem could be? Possible dirty fuel filter?

Old 08-30-2009, 06:25 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

It could be a pin hole in the fuel line that runs from the fuel pump inside the tank. Had this on mine a few years ago and made it run quite erratically. Could also be dirty injectors. There are a couple of other things it could be as well. They escape me at the moment.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:26 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior

I rode it a little more since my first post and added some fuel injector cleaner. I rode it for about 40 minutes or so trying to get a better feel for what is doing. The problem is intermitten. It will run good for a while then it will start cutten out. When its not running right I have seen the idle rpm as high as 1700 rpms. When it idles that high I cant hardly pull out it seems when I give it throttle its not getting any fuel. When its running right the idle rpm is between 900 and 1000 rpm. Could it be that my fuel pump is going bad? I will check the fuel line for cracks or small holes tomorrow. I don't know if its related or not but ever since I got the bike my fuel gauge has acted kind of crazy. Every now and then it will go all the way up to full (this happens while I am driving not pulling out or on the brakes when the gas would be shifting) and my gas light comes on even though I am at like half a tank or so. After a minute or so the gauge goes back to normal.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:49 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Have you noticed if it is when the gas tank is lower? Fill the tank all the way and see if it does it. If not then most likely it's fuel line. I don't know with the high idle though.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:00 AM
tmultra
Road Warrior

I only had about 50 miles on the tank when this started

Old 08-31-2009, 06:33 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

With 25000 miles on the bike,I would replace the fuel filter and inspect the fuel lines in the tank and go from there.
The filter kit should include one hose.It's the hose that comes up from the bottom of the tank that needs to be inspected for holes.This hose does not come with the kit.

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 08-31-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:51 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior

I checked the fuel lines today they looked good. The one thing that seemed odd to me and I dont know if it is the way it should be is where the fuel lines (I have two of them) come out of the gas tank. The have a metal elbow that bolts onto the tank and they seem loose. Not loose at the tank but the elbow below the nut I can easily swivel back and forth. Don't know if my description makes any sense or not.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:29 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the fuel lines inside the tank.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:47 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tmultra
I checked the fuel lines today they looked good. The one thing that seemed odd to me and I dont know if it is the way it should be is where the fuel lines (I have two of them) come out of the gas tank. The have a metal elbow that bolts onto the tank and they seem loose. Not loose at the tank but the elbow below the nut I can easily swivel back and forth. Don't know if my description makes any sense or not.
Normal. They swivel freely.

Old 08-31-2009, 08:57 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by tmultra
That's a quick connect to the tank. It will swivel.

If your gas gauge is doing weird things at the same time it's running bad, I'd check your electric grounds and battery cables. Make sure you don't have a corroded wire that is giving erratic signals.

As others have mentioned, check the fuel lines inside the tank.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Fuel problem?