Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 ECM Flash

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 12:57 PM
UltraClassicGirl
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCV vs. stage 1 flash vs. dyno???

Help! First off I'm new to this forum and also a newer Harley owner. I have owned several other makes of bikes, but just never a Harley!
I have a 2010 Ultra Classic, with Stage 1, and Reinhart pipes. I bought the bike in Oct and since have had a few little glitches that I can't seem to shake. I have read several others having the same issue with the PCV and the cruise control /6th gear light malfunctioning. I plan on downloading the program so I can go into the power commander settings to unclick that box that was mentioned in other posts. I can never get a straight answer when I go to the dealer with questions because all they are trying to do is upsell me to something else rather then just fix the simple problem. They keep telling me I need to have it dyno'ed, because of the PCV and having the Reinhart pipes, and how it will run "so much better" and "solve all my issues"....meanwhile I'm left eatting Ramen noodles for the next millenium after they've drained my wallet. So can someone explain to me the difference from the PCV and Stage 1 Flash? I just want the bike to run, and my cruise control to work when its supposed to verses when it wants to....If I'd have known that the bike had a bunch of aftermarket electronic crap on it I may have decided against it. I have found that whenever in the past when you put chip kits in cars or bikes, (or anything that messes with the computer) it ends up screwing things up and never seem to run right again.

My husband thinks I'm crazy but I'm very in tune with if something sounds different or hear a strange engine noise. I realize the temps are rising since we are moving into the spring and summer months, but my bike appears to feel like its running hotter than I remember last year. There isn't a engine temp gauge so i can't tell if it is or not. All the fluids are fine. I have the heat deflectors already, but it seems to get so stinkin hot that my legs are very uncomfortable and feel like I'm almost getting burned if I don't keep them up on the highway pegs. Is this something I can tune better with the PCV? I'd hate to seize up on the side of the road.....

Well thanks for listening!

Denise

Old 04-14-2014, 01:16 PM
jcapps
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
A buddy told me he punched out his stock pipes and installed a high flow air filter. Brought the bike to his dealer and the head tech told him that he would reflash the ECM for the Stage 1 Kit. Tech said that a fuel management device was not needed....I think he's crazy myself,,,

Buddy says the bike is running a lot cooler now.....I always thought the the reflash just brought the bike back to the same lean condition as stock and within EPA regulations..

I noticed riding behind him today that the pipes were doing a lot of popping....

Bikes an '08 Deluxe.....

Opinions/Thoughts???
You do not need a tuner. The stage one flash works excellent