Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 ECM Flash

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 08:35 PM
1sweetglide08
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ran a stage 1 download with V&H Monster Ovals and Stage 1 a/c. It ran fine but still ran hot. I installed a PC-V and there's a noticable difference and the heat issue is gone. The PC-V is worth the money.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:05 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Now don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that an aftermarket fuel manager is a waste of money, and I'm not saying that the HD Download is the answer for everything. But in a mild upgrade, it can adjust the ECM so that the engine won't run dangerously lean and will enable the upgrades to function as they should.

I've had the HD Download, a Fuel-Pak, and am currently running a PCV on my 103"/SE Intake/Monster Ovals setup. All have done their job for the particular configuration they were purchased for. My current configuration required something more significant than the download because of the mix of equipment. But for a mild Stage 1, I would think that the download might be a decent way to go, and costs less than the aftermarket options...

Old 08-30-2009, 09:24 PM
09 UltraFine
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why is it the pre 09 bikes will work with a "reflash" or download, for the stage 1, and they tell me that the 09's need a SEST? Did I miss something or get it wrong? Thanks

Old 08-30-2009, 09:48 PM
tlmitchell
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
A buddy told me he punched out his stock pipes and installed a high flow air filter. Brought the bike to his dealer and the head tech told him that he would reflash the ECM for the Stage 1 Kit. Tech said that a fuel management device was not needed....I think he's crazy myself,,,
Since the 2007 ECMs the Stage 1 calibration does absolutely nothing to richen A/F ratios, it only raises the rev limiter to 6200 RPMs. The Stage 1 cal resets the Adaptive Fuel feature of the ECM to compensate for addition of a breather and pipes. You'll still run the OEM A/F ratios but you won't be aggravating any leanness issues. Pre-'07 Stage cals actually richened slightly and made minor timing changes.

Adaptive Fuel settings can be reset by any dealer using the Tools menu in the Digital Technician II. It effectively does the same thing as a Stage calibration download with exception of raising the rev limiter. Many Service Managers that aren't particularly EFI savvy are totally unaware of the Adaptive Learning capabilities of '07 & later ECMs. The ones that are aware are stealing your money suggesting a Stage 1 cal instead of merely charging the hour minimum or whatever they charge to hook up the DTII. That is unless it's worth the extra loot to someone to have a 6200 RPM rev limiter. Can't recall ever hitting the 5200 limiter on mine as I shift before that to stay on the sweet spot of the cam if I want or need max acceleration.

TL

Old 08-30-2009, 11:32 PM
RKKY
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why is it the pre 09 bikes will work with a "reflash" or download, for the stage 1, and they tell me that the 09's need a SEST? Did I miss something or get it
Don'y know who is telling you this, but mine is an 09 and works fine with just the download. No doubt I could squeeze some better numbers out of it and drop it a few degrees with a tuner and some dyno time, but since I'm doing a build this winter I didn't bother.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:44 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

How about downloading a 103" stage 1 into a 96"? It should make it run a little richer, right?

Old 08-31-2009, 08:35 AM
09 UltraFine
Cruiser

I would like to hear from someone that has done the 103 download. That would have to richen it up and cool it down. Anyone????????

Old 08-31-2009, 05:20 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Well I have the 103" ECM flash, but then I also have the Stage II 103" kit installed. Works fantastic.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:41 PM
EastSideBikerTrash
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 09 UltraFine
Why is it the pre 09 bikes will work with a "reflash" or download, for the stage 1, and they tell me that the 09's need a SEST? Did I miss something or get it wrong? Thanks
I have the hd stage-1 flash on my 09 SG. No issues and it runs cooler.

Dave

Old 09-13-2009, 10:38 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 464 Likes on 360 Posts

........ this is the one issue that HAS pissed me off about my hometown dealer. When asking about installing stage 1 hardware w/o ECM adjustment they tell me i run the risk of frying the engine and when asking about having them do a 'stage 1 download' they insist that it can't be done, they can't do anything w/the ECM w/o installing a SERT & 'dialing it in' on the dyno for $700 +- including the SERT. What the heck is a cheap *** Ebay parts buyer to do ?

Quick Reply: Stage 1 ECM Flash