Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just curious, which side of lane?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:06 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just curious, which side of lane?

I have seen lately several riders who are either by themselves or in front of a cager and they ride in the right side of their lane on a 2 lane road.

My personal opinion, don't you feel it is maybe safer in the left side of the lane with more room to avoid contact with objects coming from either side as opposed to room only to the left into possible oncoming traffic? Not to mention, I have seen them ride like this while in front of cagers, just asking for one to pass the vehicle behind them and park on top of the biker.

We have ALOT of deer here in So. Il and they always come out of nowhere and not to mention all of the other road hazards that face us each day!!!

Just curious what others say or do.

Last edited by SecondChance!!; 08-31-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:15 PM
gregbenner
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As you suggest, I do ride on one side or the other, rarely in the middle (oil, studd in the road, etc).

For me, which side depends entirely on the conditions. How much shoulder, how wide, type of traffic, type of road, gravel?, potential runoff if something happens, visability, etc.

I might change from side to side several time in a mile..as conditions change. Helps keep me alert as well.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:32 PM
1plumr1
Road Warrior
Received 413 Likes on 220 Posts

Here in Washington the motorcycle says to ride in the left 1/3 of your lane. Don't know for sure if it is law, but suspect it is or it wouldn't be in the book. I ride in the left 1/3, feels best to me. We always lead from the left in group rides.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:49 PM
overhead
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

It depends on the situation. I generally try to ride where I can see as far ahead or around the vehicle in front of me as possible, I also consider how well others on the road can see me and how much room I will have to avoid any hazards. I do not have a hard and fast rule about which part of the lane I use. I have been riding long enough I guess I just do not think about it much, I just happens by feel at this point.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:58 PM
1953riderforlife
Tourer

I tend to ride on the left side too but as others have said, I change with the circumstances. And, I move around at times to be sure I can see up front and to let others see me better if it helps.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Chuck1
Road Warrior
Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Always left. Further away from anything parked or pedestrian or anything else on the side of the road etc.. Does't look like your inviting someone to pass ya either.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:03 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer

My "natural" feeling when I'm riding alone is to ride in the left side of the lane. Just suits my eye better. I will also often switch back and forth (not jumping!!!) if I get bored. If I get the feeling that a cager behind me really wants to pass, I'll move to the right side of the lane and let the idiot go!!

1HarleyGuy1

Old 08-29-2009, 10:14 PM
NiteOwl
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Almost always on the left 1/3 its the dominant position and best used to intimidate the cagers a bit so they won't decide to squeeze past or crowd inside your lane. Your in a much better position and more room to avaoid the unexpected. IMO

Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 PM
Magnus
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 agree

Originally Posted by gregbenner
As you suggest, I do ride on one side or the other, rarely in the middle (oil, studd in the road, etc).

For me, which side depends entirely on the conditions. How much shoulder, how wide, type of traffic, type of road, gravel?, potential runoff if something happens, visability, etc.

I might change from side to side several time in a mile..as conditions change. Helps keep me alert as well.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:29 PM
fladawg01
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lane Choice

I switch from left 3rd to right 3rd as the road dictates condition wise. If its rough in either one, I go to the other. Rarely ride in the center unless it looks clean, but as another poster stated this is usually where you find the anti freeze fallout, oil and everything else from the cages.

Quick Reply: Just curious, which side of lane?