Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just curious, which side of lane?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 10:39 PM
Classic Eagle
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always ride on the left. As I see it, people driving cars are on the left and I am in their line of sight so maybe they'll see me. On comming drivers will see my light sooner too. On the other hand, Oilslick in the middle especially when wet. Right side is where most of the ruts and potholes are. To me its always better on the left. If Im approaching something large like an oncomming semi, I will drift to trhe right just long enough for it to pass then back to the left. If im pulling the trailer, Im still left but far enough over that im not in the center and the trailer aint on the white lines.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:43 PM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SecondChance!!
I have seen lately several riders who are either by themselves or alone and they ride along in the right side of their lane on a 2 lane road.

My personal opinion, don't you feel it is maybe safer in the left side of the lane with more room to avoid contact with objects coming from either side as opposed to room only to the left into possible oncoming traffic? Not to mention, I have seen them ride like this while in front of cagers, just asking for one to pass the vehicle behind them and park on top of the biker.

We have ALOT of deer here in So. Il and they always come out of nowhere and not to mention all of the other road hazards that face us each day!!!

Just curious what others say or do.
You should ride in a lane position that make you the most visible to surrounding vehicles depending on the current situation. In a wide open road with minimal traffic that would normally be the left 1/3 of the lane.

However, if you are following a cage and there is another vehicle ahead waiting to enter the roadway from the right, you may be completely invisible to them if you are in the left 1/3. You should move over to the right 1/3 and make yourself visible to the entering vehicle. not to mention giving yourself a better view of what they might be doing.

Likewise if you are running alone and approaching a line of cages on a 2 lane road, you probably would want to move to the right 1/3 of the lane to make yourself more visible to any approaching cages that may be looking for a place to pass. If you are following a cage in the same situation, the left 1/3 would be a better place to be so your not hidden behind the cage in front of you.

Just try to make yourself as visible as possible to the other vehicles that could be affecting your ride. There is no rule other than to react to the current circumstances. In a group you should stay in your staggered slot and rely on the visibility of the "group".

Old 08-29-2009, 10:57 PM
PurpleHaze
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen lately several riders who are either by themselves or alone and they ride along in the right side of their lane on a 2 lane road.

My personal opinion, don't you feel it is maybe safer in the left side of the lane with more room to avoid contact with objects coming from either side as opposed to room only to the left into possible oncoming traffic? Not to mention, I have seen them ride like this while in front of cagers, just asking for one to pass the vehicle behind them and park on top of the biker.

We have ALOT of deer here in So. Il and they always come out of nowhere and not to mention all of the other road hazards that face us each day!!!

Just curious what others say or do.

...so,you meet a bike thats in whatever lane and immediately determine thats where they ride all the time?....I ride left,middle and right as the situation dictates...do YOU ever vary YOUR lane selection?...I think you do,just like EVERYONE else...

Old 08-29-2009, 11:28 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master

Originally Posted by PurpleHaze
...so,you meet a bike thats in whatever lane and immediately determine thats where they ride all the time?....I ride left,middle and right as the situation dictates...do YOU ever vary YOUR lane selection?...I think you do,just like EVERYONE else...

I did not state, think or even insinuate that. What I said was, is this how some people prefer to ride. I never said that it was right, wrong or anything else, or how I perceived their riding skills or preferances. I was just asking of peoples choice or preferences.

And back to your question, yes. I do vary my riding position in the lane depending on how the conditions and traffic dictate.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:47 PM
PurpleHaze
Banned

I did not state, think or even insinuate that. What I said was, is this how some people prefer to ride. I never said that it was right, wrong or anything else, or how I perceived their riding skills or preferances. I was just asking of peoples choice or preferences.

And back to your question, yes. I do vary my riding position in the lane depending on how the conditions and traffic dictate.

I fail to see the point of your post ...if I could answer for all those riders who were riding in the wrong lane,in your opinion, I would...I cant...

also,your OP stated .."have seen lately several riders who are either by themselves or alone"....now thats funny,I dont care who you are!!...

Last edited by PurpleHaze; 08-29-2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:14 AM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just pick which ever spot feels good...and where i can see the best.....

Old 08-30-2009, 12:28 AM
Trey Hogger
Road Master

Originally Posted by swestbrook60
You should ride in a lane position that make you the most visible to surrounding vehicles depending on the current situation. In a wide open road with minimal traffic that would normally be the left 1/3 of the lane.

However, if you are following a cage and there is another vehicle ahead waiting to enter the roadway from the right, you may be completely invisible to them if you are in the left 1/3. You should move over to the right 1/3 and make yourself visible to the entering vehicle. not to mention giving yourself a better view of what they might be doing.

Likewise if you are running alone and approaching a line of cages on a 2 lane road, you probably would want to move to the right 1/3 of the lane to make yourself more visible to any approaching cages that may be looking for a place to pass. If you are following a cage in the same situation, the left 1/3 would be a better place to be so your not hidden behind the cage in front of you.

Just try to make yourself as visible as possible to the other vehicles that could be affecting your ride. There is no rule other than to react to the current circumstances. In a group you should stay in your staggered slot and rely on the visibility of the "group".
A very well stated answer, describes exactly what I do on the road/streets. It's all about your best visibility and avoiding the most crap in the lane, like sewer access covers and the like. You'd think they would engineer a road with that stuff in the center of the lane so the majority of traffic (car tires) wouldn't automatically run them over and cause damage to the surrounding pavement, making them especially hazardous to - US!

Old 08-30-2009, 12:39 AM
vickon
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

1/3 left but scanning and adjusting as needed

Old 08-30-2009, 12:41 AM
ken b
Road Captain

MSF (Motorcycle Saftey Foundation) teaches you to drive in the left portion of the lane. The reason for this is explained as follows: Drivers are typicaly on the left side of thier car. When they look to change lane they look in thier left mirror. This will allow them to see the motorcycles if they are in that left portion of the lane.

Of course there are curcimstances that change with conditions but typically it would be safer to be on the left portion of the lane.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:18 AM
wulffe
Tourer

Originally Posted by 1HarleyGuy1
I'll move to the right side of the lane and let the idiot go!!

1HarleyGuy1
George Carlin had a bit: There are two kinds of drivers; idiots and a-holes. It doesn't matter how fast you are going. Anyone going faster is an idiot and anyone going slower is an a-hole.

Quick Reply: Just curious, which side of lane?