Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sharing PCV Maps

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 01:22 PM
Scubadog
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Sharing PCV Maps

I am a rookie here but I have a question that may or may not be a stupid one. .

I know the old arguement that all bikes are a little different but I'm wondering just how different the stock bikes could really be.

Lets say that I have an 09 Ultra with a Power Commander 5, Sream'n Eagle AC kit and Monster Oval mufflers. The canned maps on the Dyno Jet site and from Fuel Moto are OK but I'm hearing that I will be able to get a much more accurate tune with a Dyno run.

So instead of paying $250 and puting my bike through the stress of a Dyno Tune, why not just borrow a PCV map from someone here that has already had a Dyno on the exact same set-up?

I guess another question is this. Once a person pays for a Dyno run, does the map become his property to with as he pleases?

Thanks

Old 08-29-2009, 01:42 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

good question

Old 08-29-2009, 01:46 PM
canuck pride
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to read on this one.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not a dumb question at all.

My guess is that the "canned" maps that you can download from the Dynojet site are developed on the Dyno with the various set-ups, so what you are asking for is what you can already get. I figure the same is the case with the maps that come from Fuel Moto. So it comes down to who is the better tuner. Plus I suspect that all bikes ARE a little different.

But..... I think it might be worth looking into finding the "best numbers" map with your exact stage 1. Keep in mind that a good tuner will sometimes map the bike to the specific needs or requests of the rider, ie... fuel economy, city, highway, altitude, heat management, etc.

As to the question of who owns the map after a Dyno, I'd say it's yours to do with as you please.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:28 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a decent idea for someone to host a site to download maps, but it also sounds like a way to get a map that totally screws your bike up.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:46 PM
kromdom
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

someone pays $250 for a dyno and you want him to give you his map for free?

Old 08-29-2009, 03:25 PM
tslonige
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a site that there are maps available on and a tech from Dynojet parks there and helps people tweek their maps. It is another Harley forum site. I got a map off of there for my PCIII and then after trying it had a few issues and the Dynojet man made some adjustments works great now and get 38 mpg.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:34 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by kromdom
someone pays $250 for a dyno and you want him to give you his map for free?
Sure, why not? Lots of people on this site are more than happy to give out free advice to help others get their bikes running better. I wouldn't have any problem with that at all. But I for sure would tell anyone using my map to use it at their own risk and not come whinning to me if their bike blows up.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,161 Likes on 1,354 Posts

This is the exact reason we purchase these bikes for R&D and we spend countless hours testing exhausts and building fuel maps to support our map database. This process involves extensive testing, datalogging and tuning well beyond what many tuners consider building a map at a consumer level. Our maps are developed on our dyno for a specific setup and in many cases when the map is finished we will log some miles with the Auto Tune to check the map dynamically. We may not have a map for every setup but we have most popular setups covered. As far as your bike with V&H Monster Ovals and Stage 1 air cleaner this is a setup we have the exact map for which you should find works very well. I guess my question would be if you are not having any issues what changes are you looking for in a new map or what do you want the bike to do that it is not doing. Let me know and I would be happy to help out.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 08-29-2009, 09:47 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
This is the exact reason we purchase these bikes for R&D and we spend countless hours testing exhausts and building fuel maps to support our map database. This process involves extensive testing, datalogging and tuning well beyond what many tuners consider building a map at a consumer level. Our maps are developed on our dyno for a specific setup and in many cases when the map is finished we will log some miles with the Auto Tune to check the map dynamically. We may not have a map for every setup but we have most popular setups covered. As far as your bike with V&H Monster Ovals and Stage 1 air cleaner this is a setup we have the exact map for which you should find works very well. I guess my question would be if you are not having any issues what changes are you looking for in a new map or what do you want the bike to do that it is not doing. Let me know and I would be happy to help out.
There you have it! I don't think you could do any better than to have Jamie offer to send you a map for your set-up.

Quick Reply: Sharing PCV Maps