Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sharing PCV Maps

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:52 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Scubadog
Lets say that I have an 09 Ultra with a Power Commander 5, Sream'n Eagle AC kit and Monster Oval mufflers. The canned maps on the Dyno Jet site and from Fuel Moto are OK but I'm hearing that I will be able to get a much more accurate tune with a Dyno run.
Not necessarily true. Fuel Moto maps are generally very accurate and you may not get a better tune locally. It all depends on the skill of the tuner, and even with a competent tech you may not do better than a map provided for your specific hardware application from FM. My 2¢.

So instead of paying $250 and puting my bike through the stress of a Dyno Tune, why not just borrow a PCV map from someone here that has already had a Dyno on the exact same set-up?
You could do that, but if it is a Fuel Moto map there is an argument as to how ethical this would be, unless of course they offered it to you. FM doesn't generally provide maps unless you buy the PC from them, and the map is a key selling point. Maps from the PC database or from someone who has done a dyno-tune with identical equipment would be fair game, however, AFAIK. As for whether someone is wise giving you a map that he spent $250 or more getting, that's their choice, as I don't think there would be any legal issues in doing that. The tuner doesn't have a legal hold (copyright, etc.) on the maps they create, AFAIK.

I guess another question is this. Once a person pays for a Dyno run, does the map become his property to with as he pleases?
I'm not aware of any copyright or other legal issues associated with PC maps.

Last edited by iclick; 08-29-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:02 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 347 Likes on 177 Posts

Wait a minute. There are lots of guys with the auto-tuned maps that are probably more accurate than any dyno tuned map. I've seen what an auto-tuned map on my bike can do. It's tuned for everyday running as well as power. It won't auto tune the timing but you can use some of the canned maps from dyno jet as a guide. I'm convinced i have my bike in a better state of tune after a couple months than it could ever have been on a dyno. I wouldn't mind sharing mine with someone and i'm sure most guys wouldn't either. 103" with SE 204 cams. It would take 4 different screen captures, one for each cylinder, one for AFR, and one for timing. No one would own that. Someone ought to start a thread to post auto-tuned PCV maps.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:32 PM
PurpleHaze
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fuelmoto
This is the exact reason we purchase these bikes for R&D and we spend countless hours testing exhausts and building fuel maps to support our map database. This process involves extensive testing, datalogging and tuning well beyond what many tuners consider building a map at a consumer level. Our maps are developed on our dyno for a specific setup and in many cases when the map is finished we will log some miles with the Auto Tune to check the map dynamically. We may not have a map for every setup but we have most popular setups covered. As far as your bike with V&H Monster Ovals and Stage 1 air cleaner this is a setup we have the exact map for which you should find works very well. I guess my question would be if you are not having any issues what changes are you looking for in a new map or what do you want the bike to do that it is not doing. Let me know and I would be happy to help out.

I just installed a PCV on my 07 last weekend...bought it from Fuel Moto...bike was stock other than V&H Fuelpak,exhaust and hi flow air cleaner...bike ran fine before and didnt have any heat issues to my knowledge....with the PCV,it seems like I am riding a different bike...smoother at speed and the throttle response is awesome...sounds (better) like a different bike too...only drawback is it takes a bit longer to start when cold...not enough to complain about...thanks Fuel Moto!!!
PS:...when I ordered the PCV,I didnt mention the fact that I had the 'torque smoothing dl'...does that make any difference?....thanks

Last edited by PurpleHaze; 08-29-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:33 AM
tslonige
Road Captain

The reason I posted the option of the other web site having map availability was I contacted Jamie at FuelMoto a couple of months back and wanted to buy a new PCIII. I explained I already had one, purchased way before I even knew he existed, but could not find a good map so would buy one from them to have access to their mapping. Jamie told me that he would help me out and I stated I was more than happy to pay for the map because I had heard such good feedback about his operation. He told me to send him my information and he would get back to me. I waited about 3 weeks and didn't hear anything so sent a follow up email, still nothing. I then found out on the forum they were moving locations so I just chalked it up to the confusion and hassles pulling off a move while conducting business. A week ago I sent another email laying this all out again but I still havn't heard anything back. I would think there would be a market to sell maps, although i am by no stretch of the imagination an expert on that subject. Long story short or rather long, lol, my bike runs pretty good, gets 38 mpg but is still somewhat hot. I would love to try a FuelMoto map and pay for it if necessary. This would not pull business away from FuelMoto but rather relieve some pressure with a map sharing capability. People go to Jamie because he is the resident expert on the topic and for a fair price puts a package together tailored for your bike and riding expectations, then stands behind it. My 02cents, well maybe 25cents as long winded as this was.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:16 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

jamie and keith are great with customer service. if they were only selling the power commanders and their mufflers, etc, they'd be like 95% of the other vendors, only selling an item, rather than supporting it after the sale. honestly i'm happy with the smoothness, the increased torque with my 08 streetglide, but disappointed with the drop in fuel economy from 42+ mpg, down to low to mid 30's. same riding condtions, but i'm sure if i get back in touch with them, they'll help me to figure out where it's running too fat. i was about to pull the pcv and put it up for sale in the classifieds, without giving it a chance, but i'm sure there is a solution that keith or jamie can come up with. how to download from them into my mac computer though? hmm......... but honestly, they're putting out a whole lot of effort in making things right, that is exactly why they are successful with their business.

Old 08-30-2009, 06:22 AM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

just a side note scubadog, the theory of sharing maps might sound like a good idea, however, can you imagine how many guys would end up assuming that hey this map #24752 would work perfect on my bike, and they'd end up with something that would be an absolute nightmare to get straightened out? even the thought of sharing maps that way would make the hair on the back of someones neck stand up, knowing how many perfectly good running bikes would instantly become unrideable at best. a bit of knowledge can create a monster, a whole lot of knowledge mixed in with wisdom and experience can create a thing of beauty and harmony. nuff said???

Old 08-30-2009, 09:52 AM
tslonige
Road Captain

I believe sharing maps is a good idea. If it wern't then Dynojet would't make canned maps available. I can not speak to the PCV but the PCIII is only a 9 volt battery and a USB cable away from straightening out what ever problem a particular map may have caused, thats the beauty of it. If one map doesn't get you where you want you can tweak it or grab another one that is closer to your specs. The other site has an entire area dedicated to map sharing, and it is not just PCIII / PCV but other fuel management systems also. This is a great thread, maybe something positive and helpful for all those that didn't know about FuelMoto or used another source when we purchased our fuel management system will come of this.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:21 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by truckerdave
Wait a minute. There are lots of guys with the auto-tuned maps that are probably more accurate than any dyno tuned map. I've seen what an auto-tuned map on my bike can do. It's tuned for everyday running as well as power.
Before my cam upgrade, the Fuel Moto base map I had for my stock TC96 with FM Power Package showed almost no trims after adding Auto-Tune, which testifies to the accuracy of this base map. Of course after adding the cams the AT simplified the tuning process greatly.

Old 08-30-2009, 11:24 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by PurpleHaze
...only drawback is it takes a bit longer to start when cold...."
Try hitting the starter immediately after turning on the igntion. That may help with the delay.

I didnt mention the fact that I had the 'torque smoothing dl'...does that make any difference?
No difference at all. That DL is almost three years old and all maps created by FM since takes that into account.

Last edited by iclick; 08-30-2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:08 AM
karoty
Stage I

it wern't then Dynojet would't make canned maps available.
demande taux pret personnel en ligne credit simulation Faire un pret immobilier en ligne avec un bon creditdemande taux pret personnel en ligne credit simulation

Quick Reply: Sharing PCV Maps