Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7 bikes on Ride - 4 Go down

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 08:21 AM
HDUltraRider
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glade to see everyone walked away unharmed could have been much worse.

Old 08-29-2009, 08:24 AM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear everyone okay. My brother and I have been riding over 50 years each and we always fear the first little rain since that's the stuff that just mixes with the road grime and oil, but it's not enough water to actually wash it off the pavement. We enjoy riding in good rain storms, but not the light drizzle stuff. ABS will keep you straight if you actually had time to apply the brakes...won't ride without ABS. I also use only Michelins on my Ultra because they have great road grip imho; I use Metz radials on other bikes (BMWs). I don't make an issue of how quickly they wear out as long they grip the road.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:27 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 2,323 Likes on 1,449 Posts

New tires have mold release compound on them that needs to be scrubbed off. I do this by gradually taking corners harder and harder during my first ride on the new tires. This could also be done with a good soap and water scrubbing. On non-ABS bikes, I always "lead" with the rear brake before applying the front brake when riding on wet surfaces. This helps keep the rear end from coming around when the front brake is applied.
I'm glad that everyone was able to walk/ride away from the OP's wet road event. Lots of rain this year in Michigan.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad you all are OK. Sounds like that parking lot might have just been resealed.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:36 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

been there done that it $ucks, wonder if abs would have helped at all

Old 08-29-2009, 09:44 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Glad you are all Ok!! Here in PA they like to tar and chip the aspalt road surface to increase the life of the road. Sometimes in the heat of summer that tar base comes to the surface and when you hit it in the rain you are in for a ride, just lie hitting ice! It is a nightmare for bikes and I wish the rocket scientist that came up with it would try something better!

Old 08-29-2009, 09:45 AM
Ramrod1
Intermediate

Was the road just newly paved (asphalt)? New asphalt wet is like ice.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Aces Full
Cruiser

Man, I'm so glad you guys are OK. I got off an exit from I 40, slowed down as normal approaching red light at end of exit ramp....felt my rear tire start to lose traction...saved it, until stop, when I put my foot down....the road was like wax...my foot went sliding, and bike went down....no damage, thanks to crash bar.
Oil slicks are a b___h.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:02 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

ive had that experiance turned out a garbage truck was leaking an undescribable greasey gooey mess that spread out in the rain. figuered it out when we all started to smell a stench on are clothes shortly after the big crash ,4 bikes all went down.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:04 AM
krwould
Club Member

Received 1,313 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
ive had that experiance turned out a garbage truck was leaking an undescribable greasey gooey mess that spread out in the rain. figuered it out when we all started to smell a stench on are clothes shortly after the big crash ,4 bikes all went down.
When I was 17, I had a bad expierence with a garbage truck leaking hydraulic fluid on dry pavement!!! I wouldn't want to run into that mixed with water!!!

Quick Reply: 7 bikes on Ride - 4 Go down