Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear for my Girl

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:47 AM
CampRider
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Gear for my Girl

Getting ready for my first cross country ride, and looking at gear for my fiance. She's a former gymnast, so she's very tiny. Five foot nothin' as they say. I'm thinking a strong leather jacket and chaps, but I'm open to suggestions. What gear are your passengers wearing for long tours? I've also considered padded ballistic nylon jackets, etc. Lastly, she likes the Harley 3 in 1 leather jacket, the one that includes the inner liner and hooded sweatshirt, but it's that soft leather, and I'm not sure how it would handle a slide or wreck. I like the Harley perforated jacket. Seems a bit stronger. Naturally, she wants something that looks good, and I want her to be safe. Any suggestions?

G

Old 08-28-2009, 07:53 AM
BM83
Tourer

fox creek leather. They have thick, high quality leathers, made for riding. If you want harley brand, the fxrg line of gear is good.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:03 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

So, since she's a gymnast, couldn't she just pirouette off the bike ? Sorry, had to say it.

The wifey just got the HD 'Diva' leather jacket and it looks good both on and off the bike. Seen the Fox Creek jackets, they're top quality. Finding a good fit via mail order might be a challenge though.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:11 AM
NoKenDo
Road Master
Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts
Wink

"Gear for my Girl"
I thought you were looking to trade.
I had some old gear laying around.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:23 AM
Doc Intrepid
Road Master
Location: In the Pacific Northwest, a few hours east of Seattle.
Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

Another vote for Fox Creek.

They offer top of the line leather, great products, and they're excellent to work with. No worries regarding "on-line" sizing. Call Scarlett there, she's been doing it awhile. She can fit your girl out over the phone with no real issues. (I have no connection to them whatever. Just bought a couple jackets, a vest, and some chaps from them - all good stuff.)

In terms of what to buy, just a couple suggestions.

1, She needs to be happy with it or she won't be comfortable or satisfied wearing it. So long as it offers protection against a slide, let her pick style, etc.

2. My kid took a high speed fall off a GSXR wearing a nylon mesh jacket. While it DID protect him, in both our opinions a heavy leather jacket would have offered more protection. (The jacket rode up in part because the nylon fabric wasn't as stiff as heavier leather...with resulting damage.) I've never gone down wearing nylon mesh. But based on looking at folks who have, I prefer leather to ballistic nylon jackets (barring other circumstances such as someplace like Arizona where it's 120 degrees in the afternoon...)

http://www.foxcreekleather.com/womens.phtml

Best with your decision.

Doc

Last edited by Doc Intrepid; 08-28-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 08:47 AM
CampRider
5th Gear

Any comments on the midweight leather of the HD 3 in 1 "Enthusiast" women's jacket? I don't know if the soft leather would really be protective.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:53 AM
BM83
Tourer

My wife has a mid weight leather jacket from Harley, cant remember the name. It looks good on her but I would think that it would not have near the protection as a heavier one.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:56 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CampRider
Any comments on the midweight leather of the HD 3 in 1 "Enthusiast" women's jacket? I don't know if the soft leather would really be protective.
The soft leather wouldn't 'protect' as much as the thicker jackets from HD or Fox Creek. On the other hand, it's going to be lighter and easier to maneuver while wearing it. I'd let her choose which jacket she wants. She'll be happier, which means you'll be happier. IMO.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:02 AM
kman780
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would add to your list gloves and rain gear for sure.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:04 AM
BM83
Tourer

My wife is very picky when it comes to her "style" so I didnt argue about any thing when it came to her picking her jacket. I told her which ones would have the better protection and she picked out what she wanted any way.

Quick Reply: Gear for my Girl