Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering Street Glide - kick stand

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 10:29 PM
CoonersSG
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Street Glide - kick stand

Probably been discussed here before, but I couldn't find an answer to my question. I bought a kit to lower my 2010 SG because I am too damn short and started wondering if the kick stand/jiffy stand, whatever you call it, will need to be changed out for something shorter? I also noticed that the stand as it is now is pretty much straight up and down and if that locking safety mechanism wasn't there, the bike would fall over easily. Anyone else with that problem? Is the stand adjustable at all?

Thanks!
-Cooner

Old 07-01-2010, 12:09 AM
LadyFunbags
Cruiser

Bumped this thread hoping that someone out there can provide some info. Is there a shorter jiffy stand available to fix this problem? Does anyone know a part number? I've searched HD's website and have been unable to locate a shorter stand.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:34 AM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You could maybe go to the dealer and see if they have any old "defective" jiffy stand brackets from early 09 touring bikes.
I had mine changed as per service bulletin M-1243.
The original early 09 bikes leaned over too far with the bracket # 50078-09.
They got replaced by bracket # 50096-09 which I imagine is stock on your bike now.
The old bracket would probably "fix" a lowered bike just about right..
Worth asking the dealer anyway if they would sell one for this purpose.
Mick

Old 07-01-2010, 06:16 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

You need what they call a "kickstand wedge kit" for your bracket.
Just google it you will find plenty of name brand companies selling them.

https://www.phatperformanceparts.com...de=HT-WEDGEKIT

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...ductId=H500046

Old 07-02-2010, 12:23 AM
LadyFunbags
Cruiser

Mick: My husband tried to get his hands one of the "defective" brackets but he was unsuccessful. HD doesn't even list it as a stock item.

Texas: Thanks for the links - I'll check it out.

I thought about having my jiffy stand bent. I understand that this could cause the chrome to crack. I was told that I could have the stand rechromed if it did crack. I have no idea how much that would cost.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited by LadyFunbags; 07-02-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:37 AM
1bad09sglide
Cruiser

How much lower are you going? Mine was lowered 1.5 in the front with the stock wheel and tire and I did not have any problems with the West TX wind up to 50 m.p.h. gusts.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:37 AM
1bad09sglide
Cruiser

Forgot to add the bike is a 09 street glide

Old 07-02-2010, 09:29 AM
LadyFunbags
Cruiser

I lowered my 2010 SG front 1" and the back "1. When I lowered the back it significantly changed the angle of the lean when on the jiffy stand - the bike almost sits upright. I have to be very cautious of where I park the bike. Oftentimes I have to lean it a bit to the right to get it off of the stand. It's a bit unnerving at times since I'm a bit challenged physically at 5'4" and female (not as strong as the guys). It's a heavy bike. We will be hitting road in a few weeks to head up to Canada and I'm pretty sure that I'll encounter some uneven parking situations. Again - a bit unnerving.

It looks like I'll be getting my stand bent to increase its lean angle. The wedge that was discussed above is for earlier models ('08 and older). The newer SGs have the footboard attached to the jiffy stand braket, so you can't use the wedge (as was explained to me by my hubby).

Old 07-02-2010, 09:47 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Get a shorter kickstand or heat and bend the one you have...or just make sure your front wheel is turned to the right when you park.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:28 PM
speadfreak1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
Get a shorter kickstand or heat and bend the one you have...or just make sure your front wheel is turned to the right when you park.
Do not turn the bars to the right. This actually reduces the amount of lean on the bike. Always have the bars to the left with a lowered bike. Mine is lowered front and rear - same issue for me.

Quick Reply: Lowering Street Glide - kick stand