Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chatterbox communicators - need advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:15 PM
CampRider
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Chatterbox communicators - need advice

I'm looking at getting a Chatterbox CB50 (much less expensive than the bluetooth models (xbi)) and two full face headsets to go on a cross country ride on my Street Glide. I'm told they do well, but I'm not sure about the noise. Have you used them? If so, how did they do? Also, the guy at chatterbox suggested I use the open face headset kit rather than the full face, as it allows me to move the microphone closer to the mouth. Any suggestions? Or would you suggest I drop twice as much money and get two XBi's? How about the harley communications?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:34 PM
canuck pride
Cruiser

Bought 2 sets 10 years ago for a snowmobile trip and it didn't work out to well.
The engine noise went threw the speakers all the time. That was a long time ago.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:58 PM
DMcBiker
Cruiser

I had a pair years ago and they weren’t worth much. Noisy, poor range, and poor sound quality. Most on this site recommend J & M or Cardo Scala Rider. There’s a reason these one’s are less money, you get what you pay for.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:25 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CampRider
I'm looking at getting a Chatterbox CB50 (much less expensive than the bluetooth models (xbi)) and two full face headsets to go on a cross country ride on my Street Glide. I'm told they do well, but I'm not sure about the noise. Have you used them? If so, how did they do? Also, the guy at chatterbox suggested I use the open face headset kit rather than the full face, as it allows me to move the microphone closer to the mouth. Any suggestions? Or would you suggest I drop twice as much money and get two XBi's? How about the harley communications?
I am using the XBi with the open face head set on my full face Arai Quantum. At first I was skeptical about that recomendation but it works. I just trimed the foam on the back of mouth pc form room and comfort.

My wife and I have had very good results. Both on long jaunts and short day rides. And you can have the convience on any bike.

The Xbi is nice because ii is blue tooth and you can sync other hand helds.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:30 PM
cap5369
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that set up when we the 07 and worked great for my wife and I. We rode close to 15,000 miles with them and not one issue. They are correct they stay on all the time and you do get wind noise but with the music on really was not bad.

J&M makes a great set up. You will end up getting somthing better the question is do you spend the money now or later.

Last edited by cap5369; 08-27-2009 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-27-2009, 09:53 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a chatterbox, it is okay up to about 60mph in a fullface helmet. After that, the wind noise makes the vox feature worthless, and they are difficult to understand. They are nice for music and okay if you only talk a little and not constant. Its worth a hundred bucks, but not much more.