Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Really wanted to run solo mustang seat, fender scratched

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 11:36 PM
resdog
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Really wanted to run solo mustang seat, fender scratched

I have the solo mustang installed on my RK with the mini bib and am most satisfied with it. Btw, my bike didn't have the protective plastic on the fender either.

Old 06-08-2006, 11:42 PM
SubZer0
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to repaint my fender this winter so I can run he solo seat.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:03 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

My bike has the same problem. What is the deal with the MOCO that they would let this happen to their bikes? A friend took his seat of his Heritage Softail and lo and behold...there was a plastic cover on the fender and it wasn't scratched. Why can't they do the same on the RK?

I've buffed mine a couple of times and then decided that until I heard a better solution I would just ride it the way it is. The Motherwell rack adds enough chrome to the fender that no one notices the paint.

Old 06-09-2006, 03:13 AM
Matt8643
Road Captain

I also have a Mustang solo and mini bib. If you need coverage more than about 1/2" beynd the seat mounting bolts you will need the full fender bib. As said above the mini bib is really just to cover the mounting bolts.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:59 AM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

Where is the best place to buy the mustang seat? I've found a few online but most don't have this seat instock. If I don't find someone I'll go direct, but saving 20% on a $400 + seat is nice

Old 06-09-2006, 11:09 AM
jd_underdog
Road Captain

does anybody make one of these bibs in chrome? hell i dont want to add anymore black to the bike.........but chrome!!!! now your talking. anybody know of a chrome one?

Old 06-09-2006, 02:01 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Whiskers

My bike has the same problem. What is the deal with the MOCO that they would let this happen to their bikes? A friend took his seat of his Heritage Softail and lo and behold...there was a plastic cover on the fender and it wasn't scratched. Why can't they do the same on the RK?

I've buffed mine a couple of times and then decided that until I heard a better solution I would just ride it the way it is. The Motherwell rack adds enough chrome to the fender that no one notices the paint.
My plastic protector is cut right through in places and the fender is scratched underneath not a lot, but some.. It's definately not a perfect solution either.

Old 06-09-2006, 05:40 PM
karl
Novice

My SE Fat Boy had plastic under the seat, I switched to a Danny Gray seat and didn't have a problem peeling the plastic off. My Ultra didn't have the protective film. I can see them not doing it on an Ultra or Classic most people will never take the tour pac off. But a RK or a Street Glide should have a film, so many people switch to a solo seat. Someone mentioned wet sanding....you've got to know what your doing or you'll burn right through the clear coat!!

Old 06-09-2006, 06:56 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior

I believe dealers must be the culprits when it comes to scratching these rear fenders. If they are in a hurry - removeing the seat by pulling it will almost certainly result in a scratched rear fender. And, it's never noticed when you pick up the bike - who's gonna look under the seat for a scratch? Been there - done that. Scratch compliments of Battlefield Harley, Gettysburg PA.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a couple of pic's of the full length Mustang seat bib on my Street Glide. It's shown with the Sundowner Solo from HD.

The end that goes to the seat end actually extends under the bracket and seat.

Not sure how it works with one of the Mustang seats but I wish I could have had it run over the bracket instead of under it

The jury is still out on if I'm 100% happy with it even though the piece itself is of very high quality.

Primo

[IMG]local://upfiles/1293/9FF7BE858D6C48C7A8E5380EA0D1440C.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1293/4C3FD5E5931648EDAED7B7D7A2CD01D7.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Really wanted to run solo mustang seat, fender scratched