Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HQ 107 advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Born2cure
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HQ 107 advice

I'm considering the big bore 107st kit from Head Quarters. They quoted me $2300 for the kit which would include:

boring your cyls
reworking your heads
pistons
cams
pushrods
tubes

He claimed I can get 120+ tq and 110+hp excellent numbers and well worth it if true anybody else getting these results with this kit, after a proper tuning in. Now the SE stage IV kit is about he same price with a little less impressive but acceptable numbers results on the Dyno graph.
http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US..._SE10_Full.pdf

Looking for some advice, plus for those who did the HQ 107 is this all inclusive. will I have everything needed for this project.
As you can see I am no gear head, my buddy who has done a couple and will assist me (watch over my shoulder so I don't FU) all the way through. But I want to do the research and the purchase so when project is complete I just may be on leg to gear head status.

Just so you know I am looking for low to mid power I don't get the bike much over a 100 anymore but love the power off the line.
John

Old 08-27-2009, 01:00 AM
kansasroadking
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did a 95"ht pkg, they claim 90-100 hp & 95-105 tq, I made 96.43 hp and 100.47 tq, the key words are PROPER TUNING!!!!!

get on the hq q&a forum and ask Doug or Kevin, then follow their advise/recommendations TO THE LETTER, you will attain the claimed performance

the machine work/tolerances on the hq stuff will blow away the se crap... by a mile, that alone would be worth it to me, makes for a longer lasting build.

build it right, and you will do it only once.... don't penny pinch, if you spend an extra $800 or so now, you won't spend another 2-3k later... don't ask me how I know!

Last edited by kansasroadking; 08-27-2009 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 02:00 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Born2cure
I'm considering the big bore 107st kit from Head Quarters. They quoted me $2300 for the kit which would include:

boring your cyls
reworking your heads
pistons
cams
pushrods
tubes

He claimed I can get 120+ tq and 110+hp excellent numbers and well worth it if true anybody else getting these results with this kit, after a proper tuning in. Now the SE stage IV kit is about he same price with a little less impressive but acceptable numbers results on the Dyno graph.

Looking for some advice, plus for those who did the HQ 107 is this all inclusive. will I have everything needed for this project.
As you can see I am no gear head, my buddy who has done a couple and will assist me (watch over my shoulder so I don't FU) all the way through. But I want to do the research and the purchase so when project is complete I just may be on leg to gear head status.

Just so you know I am looking for low to mid power I don't get the bike much over a 100 anymore but love the power off the line.
John
PM PhilM and/or Dalton. PhilM has put together a bunch of HQ builds including the ST 107.

If you are going to fixate on peak dyno numbers, do something else. Peak numbers have little to do with rideability or the overall power of the engine since it's the area under the lines that represents the aggregate power of the engine. As for HD's stuff, it's mass-produced and the components are simply pulled from a shelf. Doug, the owner, does all of the machine work at HQ so you will get precision, individualized workmanship.

On the other hand, if you can find someone who has a properly assembled and tuned HQ ST 107 who is unhappy with the build, please report it because I've never seen one on HDF.

As for "anything else," a new pressure plate for the clutch should do it, along with HQ's black ops liftes. Nice thing about HQ is they aren't going to oversell you with roller rockers, larger throttle body, larger injectors, etc. that others push.

Good luck with your project.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:44 AM
ryanl
Tourer

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
If you are going to fixate on peak dyno numbers, do something else. Peak numbers have little to do with rideability or the overall power of the engine since it's the area under the lines that represents the aggregate power of the engine. As for HD's stuff, it's mass-produced and the components are simply pulled from a shelf.
Good advice.
$2300 is probably not too bad of a price. Does that include return shipping? Hard to say without knowing wether they are doing just a clean up of your heads, or something more extensive. Although Ive never used them, and have no reason to. Seems as though some here have had good luck with the HQ stuff.
As stated, at the bare minumum you will need to upgrade your clutch as well.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:12 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I have had three HQs builds 103 and two 107s---I thought the 103 was fast but it cannot compete with the 107 --- the 107 simply hauls azz -- no problem getting the front wheet in the air or getting bike sideways -- neither of which I condone )stunting on a HD at bike night is dangerous) I have no numbers becuase I have the pro tuner (I'm not convinced this is the best way to tune a bike) and bike has never been on a Dyno -- you will also need a AIM VPC-92 the 107 will eat up a SE clutch plate -- I have no doubt you will get 110/120 most likely you will get more -- but the numbers don't tell the story -- the bike is easy to ride I have 7,200 miles on this 107 no motor issues at all --- I have gone through a belt but that is different story

boring your cyls
reworking your heads
pistons
cams
pushrods
tubes

John

Old 08-27-2009, 07:53 AM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll let you guys know next spring, as the HQ 107 is on for the winter project. From what I've been reading, it's one of the best kick *** low budjet builds one could do.
Ron

Old 08-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is GMR still around? Is there any comparison with them and the HQ setup?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:11 AM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 321 Likes on 205 Posts

He claimed I can get 120+ tq and 110+hp excellent numbers and well worth it if true anybody else getting these results with this kit, after a proper tuning in.

John
My numbers are a little better but more important is how well it runs. Will the kit be all inclusive? No. You will need some gaskets, air cleaner, vpc 92 and a good tune. Absolutly top quality kit. As Pingman says " if you can find someone who has a properly assembled and tuned HQ ST 107 who is unhappy with the build, please report it because I've never seen one"

Old 08-27-2009, 09:40 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 274 Likes on 172 Posts

In addition to the lifters and clutch already mentioned, you will need the following off the top of my head:

Cylinder base o-ring
Oil return o-ring (under the cylinder)
Intake seals
Complete rocker box gasket kit
New rocker box breather filters
Exhaust gaskets
Oil pump o-rings (there are 3)
Inner cam bearings (Torrington B-168 iirc)
Cam cover gasket
Lifter block gaskets
Push rod tube o-rings (3 per tube iirc)
Oil

The HQ builds will deliver the numbers if properly assembled and tuned. My HQ 103ST numbers are in my sig. They start easy, run smooth, and have great rideability. You'll be happy I'm sure.

Zach

Edit to add: You will also need a couple of tools you may/may not have. You will need a ring compressor and an inner cam bearing remove/install tool. Also get yourself a tube of assembly lube. I bought a ring compressor from my local Napa store and it worked great. I did spring for the JIMS inner cam bearing install tool, but rented a puller from Auto Zone. Not the right tool, but I was careful and it worked.

Last edited by Biggzed; 08-27-2009 at 10:40 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:25 AM
kansasroadking
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ryanl
Good advice.
$2300 is probably not too bad of a price. Does that include return shipping? Hard to say without knowing wether they are doing just a clean up of your heads, or something more extensive. Although Ive never used them, and have no reason to. Seems as though some here have had good luck with the HQ stuff.
As stated, at the bare minumum you will need to upgrade your clutch as well.
you get a full port job, with all new parts.

Last edited by kansasroadking; 08-27-2009 at 12:25 PM.

Quick Reply: HQ 107 advice