Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatcat Quiet Baffle Removal

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 12:01 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fatcat Quiet Baffle Removal

I have come to the conclusion that you just can't get the quiet baffle out of the muffler after it's been in there a while.

My buddy wanted a standard baffle put in his Fatcat, so I found one for him and was ready to do it. But now he changed his mind and wants to stick with the quiet baffle...........oh well. So I get the bright idea that I will take out my quiet baffle and give the standard baffle a shot again. So I go thru the normal procedure to remove the baffle, and I only get 8 1/2" of the baffle out and it's frozen in place, not budging no matter what I try on it. I use a 2x3 trimmed down to fit, 1/2 a can of WD40, I use a piece of metal square stock, I used everything I could find and make..........nothing would make it move.

I've come to the conclusion that the packing adheres to the muffler body, and the baffle moves inside it. And when you try forcing the baffle to move, it bunches up the packing and jams in place.

So has anyone ever removed a quiet baffle from a muffler that has about 20000 miles on it? If so, how the he11 did you do it?

Just had to rant............the quiet baffle is back on the bike.

Steve

Old 08-27-2009, 07:12 AM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

I forgot to put in my initial post, that it looks like the tape they use to hold the packing to the baffle is what causes the problem. That tape seems to have bonded to the muffler and is what is holding the packing solid. The baffle will move a bit, but that packing is not budging.

Steve

Old 08-27-2009, 07:20 AM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

D&D made the mufflers/baffles so that they would be life partners.
It can be done, but is less then easy to do. D&D has a "special" jig to do this.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:39 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member

The standard unwrapped baffles come out very easy, there is nothing really holding them in place other then the screw and some carbon.

The quiet wrapped baffle is a different story...............good thing I like the sound.

Steve

Old 08-27-2009, 02:14 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a heck of a time getting the quiet baffles out of my V&H Big Shots. Same story as you describe. They are much smaller in diameter and I was able to twist, pull, push, twist, and repeat until it finally worked them out. Didn't have 20000 miles on them, but they were still a bitch to get out. If I ever need a repack on my Fat Cat, I might send it back to D&D since you are having so much trouble.