Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fugged up Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 11:28 PM
HawgTied
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+2 on the ez out. just dont torq on it too much, like fathertime said if you break it off you are really screwed.

Old 08-27-2009, 06:50 AM
Terminator69
Road Master

Thanks alot guys a lot of good Ideas, Thanks, I'm gonna tear into her after my Dtrs appointment this morning, I will hopefully post with good news. Thanks, Again, Todd

Old 08-27-2009, 07:18 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyp
I have done this about 100 times as I am a mechanic and a machinist. Get the bike as high as you can and still be stable,use a drill bit two sizes smaller than the bolt size,and drill the bolt out. Start out with a small bit and keep going bigger till you get to the big drill bit you chose. Use one of the other bolt as a measuring device so you know how deep to drill. Use tape to wrap around the drill bit to mark it as deep as you need to go so you know when to stop drilling. If the bolt does not break out after using the biggest bit you chose then go one more size bigger. You can use an ice pick break the bolt out in small pieces after drilling. Be very carefull to drill straight and don't push to hard when drilling.
Let me know how this works out for you. I have had to do this alot,I have broken alot of bolts off in alot of different things and this is the way an old mechanic showed me how to do it. It has always worked for me.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:19 AM
Our07Ultra
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done this about 100 times as I am a mechanic and a machinist. Get the bike as high as you can and still be stable,use a drill bit two sizes smaller than the bolt size,and drill the bolt out. Start out with a small bit and keep going bigger till you get to the big drill bit you chose. Use one of the other bolt as a measuring device so you know how deep to drill. Use tape to wrap around the drill bit to mark it as deep as you need to go so you know when to stop drilling. If the bolt does not break out after using the biggest bit you chose then go one more size bigger. You can use an ice pick break the bolt out in small pieces after drilling. Be very carefull to drill straight and don't push to hard when drilling.
Let me know how this works out for you. I have had to do this alot,I have broken alot of bolts off in alot of different things and this is the way an old mechanic showed me how to do it. It has always worked for me.
If you follow this procedure....SLOWLY....you will be rolling.
Good write up JohnnyP!! very exacting!!

Old 08-27-2009, 07:32 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Get the bike as high as you can and still be stable,use a drill bit two sizes smaller than the bolt size,and drill the bolt out. Start out with a small bit and keep going bigger till you get to the big drill bit you chose. If the bolt does not break out after using the biggest bit you chose then go one more size bigger.
This method will work as long as the drill will stay on center!
If the drill walks,you will be drilling into the case.

I think the bolts are 1/4-20?If so in a perfect world you would go no larger than the minor dia. of .201".
But I garrantee that drill will most likely walk.
Better to start with a 3/32 0r 1/8 and see if it is close to center.

I would also use left hand drill bits.

A machine shop could fix this easily,IF the tranny was out of the bike!

Last edited by 1flhtk4me; 08-27-2009 at 07:35 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 07:32 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

So .... 'better bolts'? Did the stabilizer not come with the proper bolts in the first place?? Just asking.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:34 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

Johnny hit it right on the head (pun) don't be in a hurry, take your time. Good luck.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:42 AM
deni
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Isn't the broken bolt recessed (obstructed by the trans pan) i.e. hard to reach ?

Old 08-27-2009, 09:41 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

johnnyp has a great solution that will work but keeping the drill bit centered is the key. Add this:
Get a shorter bolt that will thread down on top of the broken piece and take it to a machine shop and have them drill a dead-center hole the same size as your starter bit. This will serve as a centering guide for drilling the broken piece. Then if you use a left twist drill (start slowly and remember to spin it in reverse) the broken piece may come out the first try. If it doesn't continue with the next size larger left twist drill. I have used methods similar to this many times and rarely need an easy-out. Then when you go to get a replacement make sure the bolt is actually shorter than the depth of the hole. Be patient and good luck.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:56 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 339 Likes on 195 Posts

Get a short piece of tubing (steel, aluminum or copper) that will fit inside the hole, it will keep your drill bit centered and protect the threads.
If you use a left handed bit it may come out while your drilling. If not then use an easy out.

Also set the drill for low RPMs and use plenty of oil.

Quick Reply: Fugged up Need some advice.