Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet preference Poll...

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 05:48 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,951 Likes on 1,935 Posts
Default Helmet preference Poll...

We think a helmet poll is in order here. Do you wear a helmet? If you do not you are lucky as we are in CA and it is the law. What type is your preference?

I wear a half helmet on the Harley and a full face on the sport bike. And I even have matching assless chaps and gloves. Just kidding.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:50 PM
EZ48
Extreme HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 2 Posts

ACC Half Helmet for me.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:51 PM
cmhfguy
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I CHOOSE to wear a helmet, regardless of wether or not the jurisdiction I am riding in mandates it.

Usually a 3/4 ....

Old 08-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Kevin's_09FXDF
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in texas and wear a helmet 99% of the time. I have aboout 7000 miles of experience under my belt between the bikes ive had and only went with out about 4 times. see heltmet below in sig pic

Last edited by Kevin's_09FXDF; 08-26-2009 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:55 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,951 Likes on 1,935 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin's_09FXDF
I live in texas and wear a helmet 98% of the time. see heltmet below in sig pic
What about the other 2% of the time? What is the decision based on? Just curious.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I always wear a helmet whether it's the law or not.

I have a 1/2, a 3/4 and a FF - just depends on the weather or my mood. I wear the FF Shoei X-Eleven about 5 months out of the year cuz the night time temps coming home at 0200 hrs are cold here in the mountains where I live at 4200'.

I recently got a Shoei RJ Air 3/4 helmet that I really like so have been wearing that for about a month now. It'll probably be my primary helmet from now on except in the coldest part of winter.

The half helmet is an HJC and is for those hot days in summer.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:02 PM
Kevin's_09FXDF
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
What about the other 2% of the time? What is the decision based on? Just curious.
first time was a short trip to Strokers Dallas w/ a friend and he doesnt wear and was to just see what its like, was scary as **** goeing 80 on the highway on my Honda Shadow Bobber with a 22in seat hight, hardtail struts and a rock hard solo seat... other few times was to just because it feels good and free just cruisin and its texas it get HOT. But the unsafe factor i feel out ways the "cool/free" factor

I even wrote a paper about this arguing against helmet laws, I think people should make there own dessions about there own life. A thread like this would have help me out with sources and examlples of real people, I thik this could be and interesting thread..

Last edited by Kevin's_09FXDF; 08-26-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:12 PM
sfchief
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm about as un-cool as they come. Full-face always, on a RG no less. I've seen the results of unhelmeted heads hitting the pavement way too many times. I've also heard the stories about "they would have snapped their neck if they had a helmet on." Sure it's possible, but I gotta go with the statistics, not the unvalidated opinion of some on-looker.

Last edited by sfchief; 08-26-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:15 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

I guess it just depends on what risks you are willing to take........... not really.
Before I started riding old geyser bikes with a windshield, I preferred riding with a full faced helmet. Now that I ride with built in face and eye protection, and my wife REFUSES to wear a helmet, I have gotten lazy about putting the protection on.

It reallly boils down to what risk you are willing to take along with what is acceptable comfort for you. If wearing a ff is acceptable comfort for you, I couldn't imagine not wearing it to look cool.

Those of us that don't wear a helmet will be happy as we can be until something terrible happens.

The argument that helmets do more harm than good is silly. It is nothing more than self justification for doing what we want to do. Nobody has ever got up from a crash and said "I wish I wouldn't of been wearing this damn helmet."

But at the same time, riding without one brings my wife and I so much more enjoyment than wearing them, we have decided to take the risk. To each their own. I don't criticize anyone for their choice because I understand the risk involved for not wearing one and the extra satisfaction from a ride without one.

Dennis

Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 PM
chad_clearwater
Cruiser

I wear a helmet all the time and have since 1966. Switched to full-face in '72. I've had a few 3/4 helmets, especially while on Okinawa - slower speeds, smaller bikes. I've worn a skid lid a few times when on my son's bike but didn't particularly care for it. I was a motorcycle safety NCO for several years. The things I learned and saw verified my 100% wear time.

I'll probably go modular on my next helmet(s) due to glasses and hopefully, Bluetooth connectivity!

As always, YMMV!

Last edited by chad_clearwater; 08-26-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Helmet preference Poll...