Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help understanding crash-causing. low-speed, violent shake on 09 RG

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 02:10 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Help understanding crash-causing. low-speed, violent shake on 09 RG

A buddy of mine who's got years of riding experience (street and dirt, and has owned a Wide Glide (traded for his RG) and a Sporty in the past) recently purchased an 09 Road Glide. He's got probably 1500 miles on it now.

Saturday he experienced a wobble that took him down (he's fine; bike not so fine), and we're trying to figure out what caused it so he can prevent this from happening again. Your thoughts are appreciated!

Here's what he said in email to me:

"Half way down going into a turn my bike suddenly shook violently back and forth, next thing I knew it threw me into the side of the mountain. *I was traveling down hill being extremely cautious due to the narrow, windy, steep, road, going about 15-20 mph as I said exercising extreme caution due to the twists and being on a narrow road. *I couldn’t have been more careful than I was on this ride. *Just focused on the fact that it is a dangerous road and I didn’t want to go down.

"Into the approaching corner I heard what sounded like my rear tire skid for a second and didn’t know what that was about. *Several seconds after the bike literally shook back and forth like some giant grabbed it and was trying to rock me off of it. *I realized at that point that I was in trouble and next thing I hit the right side of the mountain, sideways.

"It wasn’t like I slid on gravel and the bike didn’t pitch out underneath me. *It was like I said, the bike shook back and forth and next thing I was thrown sideways into the mountain. *

"I think maybe, just maybe that the bike may have stalled while I was going into the corner, that would explain the rear wheel skid sound. *Then it bump started and that would explain the violent shaking back and forth cause I was in 2nd gear and before the engine could catch up with the rear wheel it would cause it to wobble. *If this did happen then it may have jerked my hand on the throttle and made me lunge forward but at the same time I went to the side cause I was at the apex of the corner sort of heading into the side of the mountain."

Old 08-26-2009, 02:18 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

Did the rear tire blow out?

Old 08-26-2009, 02:21 PM
gibby122
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think maybe, just maybe, that last paragraph says it all.... but what caused it to stall... maybe in his attempt to be cautious he was to high of a gear? down shifted, and "jerked my hand on the throttle ". just somethign to think about.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:39 PM
oinker02
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Based on what was written, it sounds like operator error.....All his quotes about "not knowing" tells me he really doesn't have the feel and instincts required to safely ride a scoot, or his reactions are too delayed.

We have to have instant reactions based on instincts, not thought. A simple clutch grab should have been his instant reaction, followed up with throttle shut off and back brake...all of that should have been instant and in that order.

I'm thinking he focused too hard on the upcoming curve and forgot to down shift causing the bike to lug/lurch, then the lurching caused him to twist the throttle. The momentary back tire skid was caused by engine braking and lurching. when the rear tire regained traction it was then propelling the scoot into a different lean angle.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:29 PM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

"Into the approaching corner I heard what sounded like my rear tire skid for a second and didn’t know what that was about. *Several seconds after the bike literally shook back and forth like some giant grabbed it and was trying to rock me off of it."

Sounds like "high siding" which will happen after releasing a locked rear brake at speed; the rear comes out of the slide and whips back. I've never heard of it happening at low speed tho. Things that make ya go hmmm....

Old 08-26-2009, 03:34 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,261 Likes on 7,395 Posts

I assume that the rear wheel did not lock up? Bad bearing caused wheel to quit rolling?

That was my first thought as I read this.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:42 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You usually go where you are looking, maybe that's what happened , and over compensating with the brakes.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:10 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Good thoughts so far and very appreciated.

STREETRUNNER: No, the tire did not blow.

GIBBY: Going downhill as he was, I would think he would be in a low gear rather than a high one. I'll find out.

OINKER: He's a very experienced and confident/competent rider whom I've ridden with for a long time. In addition to years of street experience, he also is a life-long dirt biker who goes offroading about once a month, focusing on hill climbs. He seems to ride instinctually (i.e. not at "thought speed") but... that doesn't mean he didn't screw the pooch on this ride.

CMCSNS: Also could be that his rear brake is a lot more potent on the RG than it was on his Wide Glide.

DOCK: A bearing problem is worth looking into, even though the bike is new. Is this a known issue? Either way I'll suggest he ask the dealer to check it.

GUNNER: I get the impression that once this shaking started, he was pretty much doomed. Point of gaze probably played a role in *where* he went down, but I doubt it had much to do with *why*.

===================

Because I know he's got reasonable skills, the first thing that came to mind to me was perhaps there's some known idiosyncracy about the RG that he needs to be aware of. I'm definitely *not* saying this wasn't operator error, but man it would be nice to read "oh yeah, that happened to me! I just <fill in the blank> and everything was cool."

Old 08-26-2009, 04:19 PM
drjggood1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not a mechanic

Ridden all my life, but not a mechanic so take this for what it is worth. There was a post here recently about an 09 Road King with a blown seal that shredded a bearing. I believe it was the front wheel. I dont know if this could be the same thing, but worth looking into. Sorry to hear about the bad news.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:21 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

Did he walk back and check road condition? Sounds like he could have hit a patch of diesel that leaked from a truck or something. Definite high side though, according to description.

Quick Reply: Help understanding crash-causing. low-speed, violent shake on 09 RG