Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help understanding crash-causing. low-speed, violent shake on 09 RG

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 04:56 PM
maicorider1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm the guy who had the issue. To Oinker, I don't know how long you've been riding for but I have 40+ years on both Moto cross and street riding. I've never gone down on a street bike except when a car hit me which wasn't my fault as it was them not paying attention.

I've owned every kind of bike and as my friend posted I've had 3 Harleys alone. I've put 2500 miles on the RG in less than 3 months.

Been down the particular road before, know it well.

I'm not inexperienced. Not saying I'm perfect either. I would be the first to admit if I screwed up but in this case I can't tell what caused this. At least if I could find some fault I woud know what to correct.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Kevin's_09FXDF
Road Captain

How are the roads were you live?

Old 08-26-2009, 06:02 PM
maicorider1
Novice

Decent. This was a steep downhill, lots of repeated twists back and forth. The only thing I saw was some slight amounts of gravel debris but no where near enough to cause what happened.

I've had a bike slip a little on gravel before, this didn't feel like that. Going as slow as I was in 2nd gear I had good control until this happened.

It was definitely different than anything I've experienced on or off road but I guess there is always a first. It's just nice to understand the cause so you can avoid it next time.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:03 PM
EG Ultra Classic
Road Captain

Do you have ABS on that bike?

Old 08-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Bad Pig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 08-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Rnemhrd
Cruiser

FWIW I have a 09 street glide and it went dead for about 3 seconds at around 2300mi. I was going about 30 in traffic in 2nd gear. It was like I turned the ignition off and back on. I know the whole bike lost power because I saw the engine light come on like when you first turn the bike on. Not sure if this helps. Dealer could not duplicate it to fix it though. I was on level pavement so it was uneventfull. Just made me think WTF. On a loose surface it could possible lock the wheel I guess.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:52 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

This is happened to my bike and I caught it before I had complete failure and don't know what the results would have been if I had not caught it in time.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ase-marks.html

Old 08-26-2009, 08:15 PM
twodollarbill
Road Warrior

So for the bike to get the rear to jump around it's all about loosing traction.
Loosing it and getting it back and loosing it again......crash
Something must of been on the road or he was over riding the brakes and
that could be easy to do going down an unfilmilar hill.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:37 PM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by drjggood1
Ridden all my life, but not a mechanic so take this for what it is worth. There was a post here recently about an 09 Road King with a blown seal that shredded a bearing. I believe it was the front wheel. I dont know if this could be the same thing, but worth looking into. Sorry to hear about the bad news.

Thats me see above post.
Everyone thought I was very lucky that I did not have a lockup or total collaspe causing the wheel to lean to one side.

Last edited by EricD10563; 08-26-2009 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Bad Pig
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

heres something I just read on EricD10563's thread

Originally Posted by DECON BLUE
I had a rear bearing fail last week on my 2008 Train that looked just like that!! It seems to be happening more than you think lately. I was running about 70 when mine gave up and a really loud screech and a big twitch in the bike was the only warning I had. I was on my return trip from up north back to Florida on a sunday evening and got lucky and found a great dealership about 50 miles from where I broke down. They came early next morning and picked up the bike and me and I was on the road that afternoon. BTW my bike is a 2008 Train with 41000 miles on it and this was the 1st issue I have had with the bike. Also the 1st time dealership has seen the bike as I do all my own work and services. Everything was covered by HD except tow. The Dealership that did repair was at exit 59 on interstate 70 in Ohio, called Mid Ohio Harley-Davidson, real nice people, clean shop, could have not asked for better treatment!
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ase-marks.html

Quick Reply: Help understanding crash-causing. low-speed, violent shake on 09 RG