Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filter Failure

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:27 PM
Detroit Sparky
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil Filter Failure

Anybody ever have a new oil filter fail to the point of loss of oil pressure ( 10 lbs @ 60 mph after running 20 miles). Had the oil and filter changed and the next day the pressure was almost lost. I shut down the bike and trailered it back to the dealership. They said I had a defective oil filter and replaced the oil and filter then ran it on the dyno to make sure the problem was fixed ( no charge for anything). I have 100% confidence in my dealership ( Wolverine HD, Mt Clemens, MI ) service dept. Just curious - how common is this?

Old 08-25-2009, 10:40 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

There is a pressure relief valve in an oil filter. And.. I think it's a one-time thing, too.

Every filter, be it car, truck, or bike has these. So, with the gazillion filters sold.....

Old 08-26-2009, 12:56 AM
axiom
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i cant see the filter causing a lower pressure since the filter doesnt really create any pressure anyway. If it created all the pressure in the system the rest of the engine would be starving for oil until the bypass opened. Also, your oil pressure gauge alerts you of any internal engine problems and if the system pressure was created at the filter, prior to the engine, then you would never see any problems if they were to arise. I dont know what the problem was but I cant see a failed filter causing that.

Old 08-26-2009, 01:09 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by axiom
i cant see the filter causing a lower pressure since the filter doesnt really create any pressure anyway. If it created all the pressure in the system the rest of the engine would be starving for oil until the bypass opened. Also, your oil pressure gauge alerts you of any internal engine problems and if the system pressure was created at the filter, prior to the engine, then you would never see any problems if they were to arise. I dont know what the problem was but I cant see a failed filter causing that.
You are right (I was having a normal dum azz attack). The relief valve is for if the filter gets plugged.