Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 09 Street Glide Woes

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 10:14 PM
BIGRSRK08
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default New 09 Street Glide Woes

Sure could use some advice. Just traded my 08 Road King for a new 09 Street Glide. I was told that with the new frame design that the ride was a whole lot better. That's a crock because I and the wife are really dissappointed in the ride of the new bike. I'm running 35 lbs. in the tires and 25 in the shocks and it beats us up like crazy. It only has 150 miles on it now and have changed the seat to our old Road King redone seat and it is still like a hardtail.
Anybody had this problem and what can I do to make it better.
My body is too old for that abuse anymore and my hemmorids are thinking about taking revenge on me.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by BIGRSRK08; 08-25-2009 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:22 PM
cropsure
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I noticed the same thing on my 09 FLTR especially after I put the low profile (street glide) shocks on the rear. I pumped the shocks up to about 48 lbs. and it is much better. You might give that a try.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:26 PM
pittz5
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I agree the 09 suspension SUCKS!! I ride solo and actually run 45-50 lbs in the shocks. Its much better than when I ran with the lower pressure. People seem to think that the shocks are the same as the prior years, I know I did. When I first got the bike I put 15 lbs in the shocks and figured I was good....Not a good ride..;-)) put 45lbs and its much better. You may want to swap out the shocks or at least put the standard length shocks on and get rid of the SG shocks. Good luck, I know it sucks to buy a new bike and wish you didnt trade the old one...I know all too well.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:31 PM
Yachtman
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm going to guess that 45 lbs requires alot of weight to move it!

I think you need to get the standard sized shocks, they'll ride much smoother

Didn't you ride it first?

Last edited by Yachtman; 08-26-2009 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 10:38 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Street glide shocks are the lowered height shocks. A SG IS an inch lower.

Go buy shocks for a regular touring.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:57 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Go to EBay, there's always a ton of new take-offs that will give you back your ride. And they're pretty cheap.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:07 PM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Didnt you ride it first?? You cant expect a SG to ride like a king..

Old 08-26-2009, 04:31 AM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BIGRSRK08
Sure could use some advice. Just traded my 08 Road King for a new 09 Street Glide. I was told that with the new frame design that the ride was a whole lot better. That's a crock because I and the wife are really dissappointed in the ride of the new bike. I'm running 35 lbs. in the tires and 25 in the shocks and it beats us up like crazy. It only has 150 miles on it now and have changed the seat to our old Road King redone seat and it is still like a hardtail.
Anybody had this problem and what can I do to make it better.
My body is too old for that abuse anymore and my hemmorids are thinking about taking revenge on me.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
yep.. noticed the same thing my previous bike was an 05 rkc rode like a dream even with lowered chrome shocks from eastern performance but the new street glide .well leaves a lot to be desired in the ride dept. my brother rides an 06 street glide with stock shocks .i've riden that and way better than the 09 .so it's the new stiffer frame set up.don't know how to remedy this .so i just say screw it and ride .either my *** will brake in or the shocks will which ever comes first

Old 08-26-2009, 05:37 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Gotta agree. While the new frame does handle way better than the previous years, it is alot more harsh. Maybe not hardtail harsh but it isn't as smooth of a ride as previous years. Unfortunately because of footing problems I am looking into lowering mine which is gonna make it worse.

And to those who asked the OP about riding it first. There is only so much you can tell on a test ride. I myself got to take an 09 out for a few hours before buying it. Most only get an around the block or couple of miles ride. Personally I was paying more attention to the handling characteristics than anything. Didn't notice the ride was more harsh right away. That comes after a full day of riding.

Old 08-26-2009, 05:51 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you do decide to get rid of those SG shocks, let me know.....

Quick Reply: New 09 Street Glide Woes