Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road America / Flat tire / Sunday 1330 hours highway 1 CA

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 11:26 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Road America / Flat tire / Sunday 1330 hours highway 1 CA

To start with, unless you have lost your wallet - stay the hell off Highway 1 between Big Sir and San Simeon Ca - very bad road this summer.. We left Turlock CA at 0800, road to Monterey CA then south heading to Morrow Bay - at 1330 about 30 miles North of San Simeon we ran over "what ever" and the back tire went down. This is my first flat in 11 years on a Harley so I consider my self very lucky. I am posting this story because of all that I learned and maybe help someone out there. Cell service is a Joke in this part of CA and the folks in cars are an even bigger joke as far as stopping for help. We were on a sharp curve and no one would stop. It even took a few bikers going by before I got someone to stop. I have Road America ($29.95 plan - this full plan is now offered in CA and it is new and great - explain later). I was with my wife - so I wrote down all the info I thought would be needed and got a retired Marine (Marine to the rescue) He was a local guy and said a payphone was about 15 miles south and he would call for me.. Well he left and I got to thinking, what proof do I have that he is able to get a tow truck headed this way??? after about 30 min a small group of bikers stopped (after waving and the first two just rode by) I told them about the first guy and ask if they would call when they could to see if the tow was indeed on the way. In trying to shorten this story... the tow truck arrived at about 3pm. First problem was the driver said that Road America said I only had $100 worth of tow - Bull ****... we loaded up and stopped at the phone and finally got it cleared up... The tow truck was cleared to take us to the closest HD shop that would be open on Monday (Santa Marie which is way south of Pismo Beach). We got there at 1730 and were lucky to find a nice Holiday Inn right next to the HD shop. Next morning at 9pm I was at the HD - they opened but as you might guess - No service tech to change the tire??? I ask if they had anyone who might come in to install a new tire... NOPE>>>>> great customer service... back on the phone with Road America... the next HD shop that had a mech on duty was Fresno - lined up a tow truck for the 3 hour tow - after waiting for an hour - tow service called to say they decided NOT to take me to Fresno - UGGHHH... back on the phone - found a Non HD shop about 25 miles north that would take care of me.... I have the ex warranty and also have the tire portion.. HD was good about having a Non HD guy replace the tire but they would Only go a price on a HD tire - bought a new tire at the HD shop in Santa Marie and took that along with the bike to the guy 25 miles north.. This guy was very nice and took very good care of us... back on the road headed to Turlock at 1630 hours... all this for a lousy flat... This is why I posted a question about the emg flat tire kits... do they work... most have a plug - but you still have to find the hole and if the tire is flat??? anyway... between my HD ex warranty and the tire coverage and Road America. I got a new tire, tow and Holiday Inn all paid for... just took about 27 hours...

lessons learned.....

### Have a copy of your tow coverage contract - cuts down on (you don't have that on your policy)
### Have your Vin #, year of bike, color, lic number, make all written down.
### If you have to have someone call for you and you stay with the bike - be willing to supply your Visa number with ex date and code on the back - reason for this... The tow co. wants to be guaranteed they will get paid... the retired Marine gave his ( what a guy) the tow driver said they have gotten calls like this before and once they got to the spot - the car or bike was gone... they spent time for nothing - I completly understand.

I also heard about AAA RV/MC tow coverage.. I called, AAA said you first have to have their Ins on the bike to be covered... I have AAA+ road side assistance but I do NOT have A

Old 06-07-2006, 11:35 PM
Basz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Road America / Flat tire / Sunday 1330 hours highway 1 CA

Damn! [:'(]

Thanks for sharing your story and frustrations.
I will heed the advise and make a few calls tomorrow to get some things straight before a planned weekend trip.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:43 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the plug kit works fine if you dont have a tube type tire and its on the tread part...sidewall hole is not repairable.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:48 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great story! I rode the California coast from Oregon to San Diegoe a few weeks back and had no issues. Took 101 and Highway 1 and went off other places like the "Lost Coast".

I've had AAA RV/Motorcycle Plus for over 17 years and never had their insurance. I hit a deer last July. They towed my Ultra 80 miles to my house on a Sunday because I would not let them leave my Ultra at a closed dealership. Monday mMorning they picked it up and took it another 60 miles to a Dealership. I've always had great service from AAA. But they do have mileage limits and would not have picked up the hotel.

Glad to hear it worked out for you! We're off to Yellowstone this weekend.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:52 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: zubaugh

Great story! I rode the California coast from Oregon to San Diegoe a few weeks back and had no issues. Took 101 and Highway 1 and went off other places like the "Lost Coast".

I've had AAA RV/Motorcycle Plus for over 17 years and never had their insurance. I hit a deer last July. They towed my Ultra 80 miles to my house on a Sunday because I would not let them leave my Ultra at a closed dealership. Monday mMorning they picked it up and took it another 60 miles to a Dealership. I've always had great service from AAA. But they do have mileage limits and would not have picked up the hotel.

Glad to hear it worked out for you! We're off to Yellowstone this weekend.

Thanks,,, I had a feeling and was going to stop by my local AAA office today,, I am a firefighter and spent the day bike cleaning... I will stop by tomorrow and get more info... From what I heard on the road - the story I got on the phone from AAA did not sound right... May I ask the cost for the RV/MC road side service??? We have the AAA+ but that is just for cars and will tow us (I think) 100 miles..

Old 06-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

ORIGINAL: harley0711

I also heard about AAA RV/MC tow coverage.. I called, AAA said you first have to have their Ins on the bike to be covered... I have AAA+ road side assistance but I do NOT have AAA for my ins on the bike...

Someone is pumping you full of smoke. Or maybe they get paid on how many ins. policies they write.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:04 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

On the phone right now with AAA and they say NO to Northern Ca customers unless they are insured with AAA or Western united... is offered other parts of US but Not in CA... Zubaugh, what state are you in??? club code,,, AAA operater is intersted... thanks,,

Old 06-08-2006, 12:09 AM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

AAA just called UT - the operator there said that the Plus coverage takes care of M/C - looks like not all the states are the same...

Old 06-08-2006, 12:28 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Although I live in Park City I think Utah's AAA offices are the pits and I got approval to keep my membership with AAA Southern Califonia. I lived in San diego forever. Been up here for about 8 years.

Membership cost:
Me 46
Wife 23
AAA Family Plus 48
RV/MC Service 25

Total annual amount is 142

That was my renewal last October.

I just had my Ultra serviced at the dealer. I'm heading to Yellowstone this weekend. Will take in Beartooth Pass et.al. Nice thing about the Dealer is "They" cleaned my ride. Bad news, it raind on my way home so I too am in the clean mood!

ORIGINAL: harley0711

Thanks,,, I had a feeling and was going to stop by my local AAA office today,, I am a firefighter and spent the day bike cleaning... I will stop by tomorrow and get more info... From what I heard on the road - the story I got on the phone from AAA did not sound right... May I ask the cost for the RV/MC road side service??? We have the AAA+ but that is just for cars and will tow us (I think) 100 miles..

Old 06-08-2006, 12:39 AM
Carmell RKC
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Feel lame asking this but what is Road America and where can I sign up ? I realize with the laced wheels it is a futile attempt to repair so better to be pro-active.

Quick Reply: Road America / Flat tire / Sunday 1330 hours highway 1 CA