Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sundowner Deep Bucket Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 10:40 PM
akpackfan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sundowner Deep Bucket Questions

If anyone has experience with the Sundowner Deep Bucket seat (P/N 51542-01B) please chime in. Is the foam denser than the stock seat on an '06 EG, meaning, is it more comfortable on long rides? I am 5'7 with a 30" inseam and would like to sit lower and more forward, will this seat accomplish either of these? How about the passenger seating area comfort, is it good? What are your overall impressions? Thanks for any input.

Old 06-07-2006, 11:24 PM
TKanaley
Cruiser
Default RE: Sundowner Deep Bucket Questions

I don't know how the Sundowner sits you on an EG, but on my RKC it sat me about an inch further back than the stock seat. The foam is thicker on the sides where your thighs stradle the seat (with your feet on the ground) and with my 30" inseam, it made me feel unstable. Especially with a passenger on-board. The Sundowner is very comfortable, but it made me have to reach forward (and I have reduced reach bars on my RKC) and it killed my lower back on rides longer than 50 miles.

I'm 5' 8 1/2" and have tried several seats trying to find the perfect fit. Besides the stock seat and Sundowner, I have also tried the Mustang Solo which after 5 minutes on the bike, went back to where I bought it. The Mustang Solo sits you back further than stock (in deference to what Mustang will tell you) and to me and my skinny ****, it felt like I was sitting on a church pew. YMMV

The seat that feels best to me is the Corbin Close Solo. It sits me right where I want to be and it couldn't be more comfortable IMO. A lot of people complain about the Corbin being too hard, but it is contoured to your butt and if you get the fancy stiching on the seat (no extra charge), you get a thin layer of open celled foam on top of the hard stuff which really improves the comfort factor. I haven't even broke it in yet, but it was comfortable from the get-go.

I was a little reluctant to take a chance with the Corbin after reading some of the posts about it. Most people either love it or hate it. But so far it is the best (most comfortable, not too mention most ergonomic) seat I have tried.

You might see if your dealer will let you try on the Sundowner before you buy it. Good luck!

Old 06-07-2006, 11:48 PM
katoomofdoom
Advanced

ORIGINAL: TKanaley

I don't know how the Sundowner sits you on an EG, but on my RKC it sat me about an inch further back than the stock seat. The foam is thicker on the sides where your thighs stradle the seat (with your feet on the ground) and with my 30" inseam, it made me feel unstable. Especially with a passenger on-board. The Sundowner is very comfortable, but it made me have to reach forward (and I have reduced reach bars on my RKC) and it killed my lower back on rides longer than 50 miles.

I'm 5' 8 1/2" and have tried several seats trying to find the perfect fit. Besides the stock seat and Sundowner, I have also tried the Mustang Solo which after 5 minutes on the bike, went back to where I bought it. The Mustang Solo sits you back further than stock (in deference to what Mustang will tell you) and to me and my skinny ****, it felt like I was sitting on a church pew. YMMV

The seat that feels best to me is the Corbin Close Solo. It sits me right where I want to be and it couldn't be more comfortable IMO. A lot of people complain about the Corbin being too hard, but it is contoured to your butt and if you get the fancy stiching on the seat (no extra charge), you get a thin layer of open celled foam on top of the hard stuff which really improves the comfort factor. I haven't even broke it in yet, but it was comfortable from the get-go.

I was a little reluctant to take a chance with the Corbin after reading some of the posts about it. Most people either love it or hate it. But so far it is the best (most comfortable, not too mention most ergonomic) seat I have tried.

You might see if your dealer will let you try on the Sundowner before you buy it. Good luck!

great feedback -i felt the same way about the mustang seats - does the corbin sit you lower? i'm kinda hoping to get a seat that keeps me the stock height.

Old 06-08-2006, 12:00 AM
jlacasci
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

May or may not help you, I have an 05 Ultra with the comfot stitch. I'm 5' 9" 30" inseam. My feat reach flat footed (barley) with the comfort stitch. I'm looking for a seat that
will keep me where I am front to back, just want to be 1 inch lower. I bought the Sundowner, and I could not reach the ground flat footed, just my toes could. Could be that the seat was a bit wider. Not sure if it fits different on your model. I returned it within moments of being on my bike.

Joe

Old 06-08-2006, 01:10 AM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I've got an RKC and switched to the Comfort Stitch. The back seat portion is very big and comfy. For me, the additional back support is nice, but I feel a little more forward than I did with the stock RKC seat. For this reason, I think it may be a good fit for you. Worth a try... incidently, I'm 6'1" 210 lbs.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:12 AM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I am 5'8", 30" inseam and I have tried the reach seat and absolutely hated it. Does what it says, lowers you 1.5" and moves you forward 1.5" but at a price! No Padding. That is how it makes you lower. I had a sundowner on my sporty and absolutely Loved it. Just put one on my EG Classic. Haven't tested it yet coz its been raining relentlessly here in the northeast. Thinking about trading the whole thing in for a canoe. Look guys, we all seem to be about the same size and after the same thing. Sure, flat footedness. I sovled my problem by buying a pair of Chippewa logger boots. They have a high heel and thicker soles. I have never worn anything but boots when I ride, but that is my personal preference.Some guys wanna be flat footed but wear sneakers. It isn't gonna happen. You wanna be absolutely flat footed? Take off your seat and sit on the frame.

Old 06-08-2006, 01:23 AM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Soos has a good point! Or, lower the bike, but then we all bitch about the "ride". Hehehehehehehe can't win this one. But seriously, from the gazillion posts I've read in here, the majority of folks go with a sundowner and are very happy. I've heard that it sets you further back in the seat though, which isn't what you are after. The only reason I didn't go with one and went with the comfort stitch instead is because the sundowner would have put me back further into my passenger. That would have been a good thing for my riding position, but not a good thing for hers. When momma's not happy, the trip has a way of being a bust. So, both good seats, one just puts you more towards the rear than the other. Listening to what you describe, I'd lean towards the comfort stitch, try it, and then take it right back if you're not happy. Hell, I'd ride my bike right to the HD shop with a screwdriver, put the new seat on, say "Here, hold this" (the old seat) and take it for a spin. If it's not what you like, hand it back, put on your old seat and go back home.

Just an idea................

Old 06-10-2006, 09:10 AM
FD2
Cruiser

Hi, 5' 6", 30" inseam and sundowner solo on an RK (plus a pillow look for 2 up). No problems. I find the sundowner really comfortable. I reckon HD dealerships should have some 'device' in shop that lets you try out different combinations until you find what you want.

Old 06-10-2006, 09:57 AM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put a deep bucket on last month. Sits lower. Passenger is about 1 inch lower. It is more comfortable but not wide like I wanted. I have not gone on a long trip yet. Went 350 miles on the stock seat and could not stand it. This one seems like it will do the job. Next trip will tell.

Old 06-10-2006, 11:29 AM
Cool Breeze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've heard from folks in the past with this same problem. Most go with the Sundowner or Road Glide stock seat. A buddy at work has a RK with a Road Glide seat, loves it. He tried the Sundowner, but it put him to far back in the saddle. Then he tried the Low boy seat again, not right for him. Look into the Road Glide seat, might work for you. It sure looks comfortable on a Road Glide.

I know, I know, I ride a Dyna, but I'm getting a RK in '07 maybe a leftover '06. Already have the mods in mind, bars, seat, slip-ons.

Quick Reply: Sundowner Deep Bucket Questions