Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank Removal 07 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 07:02 AM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
I got a tip....once tank is off, put a quick connect on the line from John Wadsworth (Herko) LINK to ebay item
Yes get one. This is been a great add on seems I take tank off at lest once a year.

Old 01-29-2010, 10:47 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by peddler

Am I the only person that thinks the manual is a little misleading. It goes into great detail about removing the console, fuel pump unit etc. My question: WHY? It's great that instructions for removing the console, fuel pump, etc. are made available but why would you do that just to remove the fuel tank??? I think the procedure outlined above by Chester pretty much says it all.

Am I missing something??
You're not alone; I thought being directed to the console removal section was a head scratcher, too.

It finally dawned on me that step 4. on page 4-4 says "Remove console. See CONSOLE/CANOPY, REMOVAL, step 4." I do steps 4.a through 4.f on page 4-6 (meaning I do step 4 only) to remove the console and then go back to the tank removal section. All the other steps in the CONSOLE/CANOPY REMOVAL are for removing the CANOPY.

It's been a while but I think I remove the console to disconnect the tank overflow tube and vapor vent tube instead of pulling them up out of the frame when I'm walking away with the tank. Also, there's an electrical connector under there to disconnect.

I don't know it this makes sense but it was the only way I could figure why I was directed to remove the console section. I do know that installing the Herko quick disconnect on the crossover line makes complete tank removal a breeze!

Old 01-29-2010, 11:18 AM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Modee1245
I am in need of removing my tank to run some wires etc, has anyone done this process?

If so can you give me some tips, instructions etc. on removal and re-installation.

Thanks
Like Chester says, there are steps in the manual to purge the fuel supply line of high pressure gas. Pull the fuel pump fuse, start and run the engine until it dies, and then operate the starter for 3 seconds to remove any remaining fuel from the lines.

If the bike has not been run for a day or more, I have bypassed those steps a couple of times without getting any spray when disconnecting the fuel line quick disconnect. Just have a rag under it to catch any minor leakage. I tried it after reading this tip on the this forum. Just saying, if your Ultra is winterized for storage, there is really no need to run the engine to purge the pressure.

OOPS! I didn't originally notice that your question was asked last AUGUST!

Last edited by Woodchuck; 01-29-2010 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Justify the stupid winterization remark
Old 01-29-2010, 11:25 AM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Woodchuck
It's been a while but I think I remove the console to disconnect the tank overflow tube and vapor vent tube instead of pulling them up out of the frame when I'm walking away with the tank. Also, there's an electrical connector under there to disconnect.......

I do know that installing the Herko quick disconnect on the crossover line makes complete tank removal a breeze!
Thanks for the insight. Makes all the sense in the world. I believe you are about the 5th person to suggest the crossover disconnect. I ordered mine directly from a manufacturer that just happens to be a customer. Real quality product and great technology for this type of application...and it's chrome...how could I pass up another piece of chrome for my Ultra !!!!!