Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Street Glide Luggage Touring Long Trip Camping Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 11:05 PM
CampRider
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help with Street Glide Luggage Touring Long Trip Camping Etc.

Hello all,

I'm about to go on a cross country ride with my fiance' on an 08 street glide I'm buying. We're looking at the multi-fit tour pack (and have already planned the sissy bar, luggage rack, backrest, and mounting hardware), and possibly putting a tent and an air matress as rolls on top of the regular hard-case saddle bags. I saw a picture once of a street glide set up that way. Has anybody used these items, or do you have other suggestions? I would love to see any pictures or tips about how you would mount sleeping bags or tent rolls on top of the saddlebags. Not sure if we're asking for more trouble with all the weight, but then again, a street glide isn't exactly light! We considered the king tour pack, but this way, we're looking at $780 for the HD multi fit two-bag system, docking hardware, rack, backrest and pad... Vs. the $1200 or so on the King Pack. Any suggestions or info on long touring with this set up would be greatly appreciated. Also looking for suggestions on a decent but inexpensive rain suit.

Thanks,
CR

Last edited by CampRider; 08-24-2009 at 11:55 PM. Reason: adding info.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:14 PM
OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

you might look into getting the rack that attaches to your sissy bar, or a detachable rack that mounts on the tourpak docking hardware, then getting one of the huge t-bags that strap to the sissy bar. i think you could lash the tent and sleeping bags to the sides of the t-bag.

NiteOwl
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I would suggest to skip the "tour-packs" and go with a good set of T-Bags. The bags will hold more, I would "not" load up my saddle bags with weight on the lid.

Get a good luggage rack on the rear and fit a t-bag style set of bags to that. NOTE: make sure the bottom T-Bag has a hard bottom to it to keep it from touching the saddle bags. This is a great setup, costs lots less than the tour-packs and you will carry more.

OG1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

plus the tourpak is gonna take like 3-5 weeks to get from HD.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:33 PM
NiteOwl
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Your still going to go crazy having to buy mounting hardware: LOL

You probably already have a sissy bart, if not you need the 2-point mounting hardware for that.
then the backrest bar itself, then the backrest pad.
Now you need the luggage rack; some fit to the rear sissy bar others require the 4-point docking hardware (or rear point kit) which is good to easily remove the luggage rack after the trip.
Then just get a really nice t-bag setup and load up.

I actually just finished this style trip with my lady on my 08 SG, it was great. We stopped at a weigh scale and we weighed in at 1245lbs fully loaded. Bike hadled like a dream.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:45 PM
CampRider
5th Gear

I am planning to have the sissy bar, backrest pad, luggage rack, mounting hardware, and the HD multi-fit bag luggage system (comes with two bags, one that slides over the sissy bar). The only question now would be where to put the tent and air mattress. Anyone seen a setup like this or have pictures of one?

Old 08-25-2009, 05:46 AM
MODCOBRA
Tourer

http://www.ridetek.com/products/lid_hauler.html Might give this a try. Seems like a decent set-up, altho, I have no experience with it.

Ben

Old 08-25-2009, 07:21 AM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why not just trade bike for a ultra classic!!!!

Old 08-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It won't be pretty, but, after mounting your bags to the rack, put the tent and pads on top of them and strap them down with a bungee net.
Simple and effective.
My buddy does this, and has no problems. Just make sure it won't shift during cornering, braking, and acceleration.
Another good thing about the net - as you pick stuff up along the way (always do) you can adjust accordingly.
Have a great trip!

Old 08-25-2009, 08:41 AM
Scorpion07
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to keep this woman - you might want to check into seat options too!
That stock SG seat isn't good for consecutive long mileage days - especially for the passenger. It's designed more for looks then comfort.

Quick Reply: Help with Street Glide Luggage Touring Long Trip Camping Etc.