Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Paint, PPG, ColorRite? (for Inner Fairing)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Snowfly
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD Paint, PPG, ColorRite? (for Inner Fairing)

I want to have my inner fairing painted on my 05 ultra (chopper blue pearl). I did a search here to see what paint was being used for a perfect match. I've read to only use HD paint. Some say HD paint sucks, use PPG. But then I read PPG makes the paint for HD. Now I'm really confused. I understand that HD paint is only available in quarts. I'm not a painter, but that seems like a lot of paint for a inner fairing. Any help on steering me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-24-2009, 05:33 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can save a lot of money by painting your stock inner faring. PPG provides the paint for HD and you can go to a PPG store and get the paint code, or paint mixed for your color.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:45 PM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
You can save a lot of money by painting your stock inner faring. PPG provides the paint for HD and you can go to a PPG store and get the paint code, or paint mixed for your color.
Yes PPG should have the code but ive heard various opinions of weather PPG actually makes the paint for HD.. I emailed Zanotti on mine and they were kind enuff to email me back with all the H/D part numbers to do mine. I instead went with PPG and its not quite a perfect match but that seems to only be in my eyes but ive been painting for 30 years.. It was like 94 bucks for 2 1/2 pints of paint as i had the primer and clear in the paint cabinet.. Next time I just may buy the H/D stuff even though they only sell it in quarts ill bet it matches about perfect. Ive been this route before when fixing a mustang II and the only paint that matched was from Ford !.. I dont even remember who made their paint but the ford paint was a perfect match and everything else was 2 shades off... Still buying H/D paint you can do it cheaper than buying it already painted..

Old 08-24-2009, 05:46 PM
jharanin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The PPG code for Chopper Blue Pearl is 908588 if the manufactures code is 61089 or EX61089

The other Chopper Blue is PPG code 906546 manufactures code is 61104, P8000 or PCC10143

Both were used in 05,06

Check your code and find a PPG jobber in you area, PM me and I can find one for you. 1/2 pint would be plenty to do the inner fairing, but most will mix a pint minimum.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:48 PM
myred55
Road Master

Does anyone know what the average cost is to get the inner fairing painted if you took it to a paint shop?

Old 08-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

HD will not give out any paint codes to anybody. You can buy paint from HD. Money grabbin' BASTARDS

Old 08-24-2009, 06:08 PM
vindyl
Road Master

PPG is harley's paint had mine painted for $75.00 at local shop.

Attached Thumbnails HD Paint, PPG, ColorRite? (for Inner Fairing)-red-paint-2-006.jpg  
Old 08-24-2009, 06:33 PM
drewski1325
Cruiser

PPG is great paint. Use it all the time. I like House of Kolor paint too. My local paint supplier has a slick item called the "prophet". Bring in the color you wanna match, they use the prophet to analyze the colors used in the sample and it will spit out the colors to use and amounts to mix for the paint to match. It works great. They have even matched silver paint for me. Silver is a common color but a bear to match.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Snowfly
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jharanin
The PPG code for Chopper Blue Pearl is 908588 if the manufactures code is 61089 or EX61089

The other Chopper Blue is PPG code 906546 manufactures code is 61104, P8000 or PCC10143

Both were used in 05,06

Check your code and find a PPG jobber in you area, PM me and I can find one for you. 1/2 pint would be plenty to do the inner fairing, but most will mix a pint minimum.
Where do I find the manufactures code #

Old 08-24-2009, 07:25 PM
KopperTop
Road Captain

Anybody use CycleColor? They claim to be able to get any OEM color and, as a benefit to those with older bikes, they'll match an existing part, so if your Bubblegum Pink Sunglow bike has faded in 20 years, they can give you paint to match it's current tint.

Quick Reply: HD Paint, PPG, ColorRite? (for Inner Fairing)