Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage softail classic or Electra glide standard

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009 | 10:32 AM
SG Mike
Road Master

Electra Glide Standard is the way to go. But then you are asking that question in the Touring section so we might be a little biased .

Old 08-24-2009 | 10:33 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

I have never heard of a bottoming out problem with the Heritage. They are great bikes but, the ride won't compair to an Electra Glide or any touring model for that matter................. and the Heritage saddlebags will cave in and sag and be extremely ugly in no time at all.

Plus you ain't gonna believe just how nice the cruise control is. The first reason I look at a Touring bike was for the cruise control feature. The rest has been a huge plus nobody told me about.

If you want to ride get a Touring bike. A couple in our Hog Chapter has a daughter that is 19 and she wanted to start riding on our Hog outings. So the first time she rode was with a guy with a Heritage. Then she road home with a guy on a Duece. Then the next time she rode with me. Now she asks me first, to take her riding. Enough said.

Old 08-24-2009 | 10:37 AM
SATCHMO 1960
Advanced

I had an Electra Glide Classic.. Much better for what you want than the Heritage... I also had the detachable tour pak and would put a Gunslinger seat on for the different look. I loved that bike and had 33,000 miles on it in less than 2 years with no probs. A deer ruined my day and that ride but I am the new owner of a 2010 Ultra Limited and luv this new ride. Welcome to the forum and HD !!!!!

Old 08-24-2009 | 10:51 AM
smittypac
Cruiser

I just sold my 94 FLSTC. Rode it for 4 years with no problems mostly 2 up. I just got a great deal on an 03 Ultra. They are totally different bikes. I really like the Ultra as does my wife. But I still miss the Heritage a little bit. I would probably go with the Electraglide

Old 08-24-2009 | 11:00 AM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member

Electraglide!!! Nuff said.

Old 08-24-2009 | 12:21 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

EG for sure especially for 2-up.

Old 08-24-2009 | 12:34 PM
Hammy
Tourer

ride both, and make sure you can try on the highway, I'm partial to roadglides, but if they weren't available would ride a road king. the oil tank on the softtails adds a ton of heat while riding and especially when stuck in traffic. Dyna's and the touring bikes are quite a bit cooler when stuck in traffic. Just another thing to condsider. I ride 2 up on my wide glide quite a bit and that actually bottoms out less than the road glide. I've ridden softtails and they are really comfortable too, for long distance I'd go with the rubber mounted engine bikes Dyna or any of the touring bikes, make sure you get to ride what you like or think you like and compare. If the dealer won't let you test ride find one that will.

Old 08-24-2009 | 01:17 PM
Chrome Sweet Chrome
Tourer

Get a Road King Classic. The classic nostalgic look like the heritage but with touring frame, suspension, etc........

Old 08-24-2009 | 01:57 PM
take 5
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Hammy
ride both, and make sure you can try on the highway, I'm partial to roadglides, but if they weren't available would ride a road king. the oil tank on the softtails adds a ton of heat while riding and especially when stuck in traffic. Dyna's and the touring bikes are quite a bit cooler when stuck in traffic. Just another thing to condsider. I ride 2 up on my wide glide quite a bit and that actually bottoms out less than the road glide. I've ridden softtails and they are really comfortable too, for long distance I'd go with the rubber mounted engine bikes Dyna or any of the touring bikes, make sure you get to ride what you like or think you like and compare. If the dealer won't let you test ride find one that will.

I plan on riding all three heritage, electra glide and road king. Hey that's what they get paid for if they want to sell an HD. Kinda leaning for the electra glide now but they could change after test rides.

Old 08-24-2009 | 02:02 PM
NitroShark
Road Captain

I agree that you should test ride them all before you make a decision. I don't agree with most people that say you can't tour on a Heritage. I had one for years and still miss it. The wife and I rode two up on it all over creation and never had a problem. IMHO it handles just as well as the touring bikes and is one of the few Harley's that are comfortable completely stock. If I had the money for another bike it would probably be another Heritage. If and/or when my wife is ready to move up from her FXDC, I'll more than likely buy her a Heritage. They are great bikes!

Quick Reply: Heritage softail classic or Electra glide standard