Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Emergency tire repait kits???

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 03:55 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Emergency tire repait kits???

Does anyone have any REAL life experence with the Tire repair kits that are on the market today??? Had a rear flat on highway 1 - 30 miles north of Hearst Castle on Sunday at 1:30 pm... I will post the story later... Thank God for "road america" But back to my question.. looking for some real life exp on the kits??

here is the story on why I ask the above question.. https://www.hdforums.com/m_504127/tm.htm

Old 06-07-2006, 05:50 AM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Emergency tire repait kits???

Emergency tire repair kit as in Plug kit?

I keep a plug kit in my jeep at all times as you never know. They will seal a tire in a pinch especially in the middle of no where. It would be great on a bike if you caught it before the air was out. its a temp. fix.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:04 AM
RKC2001
Cruiser

I've used plugs on car tires with success. I've heard that there is a "fix a flat" kit for tires with tubes. I haven't seen one but it would be interesting to hear if anyone has seen and used one.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:12 AM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

forget fix a flat. If you have tubeless tires mounted on alloy(cast) wheels these can be plugged. If you have laced(spoke) wheels, these have a tube and can not be plugged.
I have Tubeless, so I carry Stop'N'Go plug kit. The plugs are mushroom shaped and require a special tool to insert. All of it is in the kit including CO2 to inflate the tire. if you ride long distances (over 300/day), you need one in your bag. As with all plugged bike tires, you should replace once you get to where you can purchase a new tire.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:27 AM
Mac57
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote]ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

forget fix a flat. If you have tubeless tires mounted on alloy(cast) wheels these can be plugged. If you have laced(spoke) wheels, these have a tube and can not be plugged.

I'm glad harley0711 posted this topic since I ride a bagger with laced wheels. I understand why you cannot plug a tire with a tube, but would'nt fix-a-flat be OK with a tube? Riders I've spoken to who have used HOG roadside assistance tell me they consider it worthless. So if you get a flat way out in the boonies, you're better off being self reliant. I've plugged my car tires a million times and like Vegas mentioned, I keep a kit in my car as well as my wife's car. Seems to me that Fix-A-Flat is better than nothing if you're running tubes.

Old 06-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Harvo
Advanced

Several years ago a buddy had a flat on a tubeless tire. I had one of the plug kits, we pluged the tire and aired it up using a hose that tied into the spark plug hole after removing the plugs, using the starter motor to air up the tire. I now carry one of the co2 kits but haven't had to use it yet.

Old 06-07-2006, 10:57 AM
cutacroshorty
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had 2 flats in the middle of nowhere USA. Fortunately, I had a plug kit and was riding a brand X bike that had an onboard compressor.

Old 06-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

I have Tubeless, so I carry Stop'N'Go plug kit. The plugs are mushroom shaped and require a special tool to insert. All of it is in the kit including CO2 to inflate the tire. if you ride long distances (over 300/day), you need one in your bag. As with all plugged bike tires, you should replace once you get to where you can purchase a new tire.

In addition to the C02 Kit and tire Plugs I also carry a 12v compressor I picked up at Wally World for bout $7 :]

Old 06-07-2006, 12:24 PM
100thRK
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I carry the same kit. SG1066 CO2 repair kit. Only used it once but saved my butt in the middle of nowhere Utah with no cell service and no cars to flag down!

TIRE REPAIR KITS

Features
Immediate roadside repair and reinflation of a punctured tire
Fix-n-Flate tube/ tubeless kit contains a thumb buffer, rubber cement, three 1 1/4” round patches, two 2” round patches, one 1 5/8” x 3” oblong patch, five 4 1/2” reinforced string plugs, a split-eye needle insertion tool and a canvas zippered bag; also includes an Engine Air Pump, 5’ hose with spark plug adapters and quick release lever that converts the motor into an air compressor
Deluxe tube/tubeless kit contains all of the above plus a rasp tool, valve cap/core remover, hand cleaner and towel, three patch/plugs (from the inside/out) and two 9 1/2” steel tire levers in a 5” x 10” zippered pouch
CO2 tube/tubeless kit contains the above patches and plugs, plus four CO2 canisters and adapter for immediate inflation; also includes rubber cement, repair tools, valve cap, replacement core, hand cleaner and towel in a zippered vinyl pouch
Engine Air Pump with adapters, 5’ hose and carrying bag also sold separately
Replacement parts also available

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle

[IMG]local://upfiles/8479/F9B8FB2644144676B8A8B0F1467CF477.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-07-2006, 01:33 PM
Rhinohd
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Tire Slime in all my ATVs. I wonder if it would work on a bike in a pinch???

Quick Reply: Emergency tire repait kits???