Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gps

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 03:28 PM
slankard
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gps

I am looking to buy a GPS for my Ultra. I am looking at the Zumo 660 or the Tomtom Rider 2nd. ed. Both are for bikes and waterproof. there is $100 difference in the units. What do you use? The Zumo has a larger screen, but the Tomtom sounds more user friendly. Thanks for your replies.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:26 PM
Rafkin
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased the Zumo 660 in Sturgis at Black Hills HD. Installed it on the bike in about an hour. It got me back to Ontario, Canada without a hitch. I use a TomTom in my car. I think you can personalize the Tom Tom more than the Garmin and also the Tom Tom seems to have more info in the map.
I do like the Garmin for voice, plus it has a picture viewer and MP3 player, not sure about the Rider 2 if it has that or not.
If I was to do it again I would still get the Garmin.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:46 PM
SecondChance!!
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Garmin on my bike and have Garmin on my boat. I have heard that TomTom does not have the customer service that Garmin does. I have not had any probs with either yet so I can't tell as of yet. I have the RAM mount for my bike and have it on the handle bars and love it. My .02 cents.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:48 PM
Chasenfish
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put on a Zumo 660 about a month ago and love it. I'm partial to Garmin, though, as I have had 3 other Garmin units (12XL sold for nearly what I paid for it, 5 years later; handheld GPS-V still in use for hunting/fishing; C530 in wife's car). On the rare occasion I had a problem, Garmin was able to take care of it, and I'm impressed with their customer service.

I like the big screen on the Zumo and the touchscreen works great, even with gloves. Got caught in rain and hail on recent trip to Yellowstone, Zumo got soaked, but functioned perfectly.

The Zumo also comes with a second mounting cradle for the car, so I can move it easily between vehicles. I don't know much about the TomTom, but I love the Zumo. I loaded all my music onto the Zumo, and can play the MP3s and voice prompts through the HK sound system. In another post, someone posted about a great price through Chicago HD. I wish I had found mine that cheap!

Old 08-23-2009, 04:54 PM
slankard
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for all of the info. I just did a search on Amazon and they have the Tomtom for $365, the Zumo is $799. I still would like more input before buying. Thanks to all that reply. You have got to love this forum for all of the info you get!!

Old 08-23-2009, 04:56 PM
HRLYSG
Road Master

I just go my Road Tech Zumo 660 the other day. Created a thread here. Bought it from Chicago H-D through the Harley-Davidson Web site delivered for $613.01 to my door. Took almost two weeks to get because Chicago got it from H-D. For the savings, I could wait. Prefer Zanotti's but they were about $80 higher if memory serves me correctly. You do not get a mount with the Road Tech.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:56 PM
clutchglass
Road Master

I have the zumo 550 on my ultra (Dash mount). It was TOO expensive, but I got it at the same time I bought the ultra. The zumo is fantastic though. I'm learning how to use google earth to send trips straight to my zumo. If I had it to do all over again...I'd have either bought my zumo 550 (even at the price I paid for it if need be), or the zumo 660 (not sure what the feature differences are between the 550 and the 660).
-clutch-
P.S. I also downloaded a book at www.payloadz.com on how to use google earth to make topo maps so I can take my zumo pig hunting this year!

Old 08-23-2009, 06:00 PM
kyote
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Garmin is a US company... Tom-Tom is Dutch........ my .02 cents.........

Old 08-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am very satisfied with my 550 (about the same as a 660 which has a bigger display and no XM option) and I have found it very intuitive to use. I was able to make a route and find POIs without reading the manual. I've used it on a couple of tours and currently it has directed us through NH, ME, NB and we're currently in Nova Scotia without a hitch (except for riding out Hurricane Bill near Halifax).

I've been using Map Source to plan legs of trips on my Netbook and then transfer them to the Garmin. Very slick! If you get a Garmiin, just be sure to take it off auto recalculate if you plan a route with lots of waypoints.

I would definitely get a 550 again or a 660. The 660 lists for less than the 550 on the Garmin website and I would go for it since I don't have any interest in XM radio.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:15 PM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer

I have had both. The TomTom has the WORST customer service that I have ever encountered. The Garmin Zumo 660 is an excellent unit and the people are very good to deal with.

1HarleyGuy1

Quick Reply: Gps