Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did i get hosed

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 01:46 PM
pino56
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did i get hosed

I was going on a long road trip and decided to replace the cam tensioners on my 05 ultra with 45k on it. I brought the bike to a highly recommended indy [certified hd mech] 8 days prior to my departure date. I was told i'd have it back in a few days. The night before departure the bike just hit the lift. I obviously was pissed but not much i could do at that point. I originally was told the install would include a fueling kit instead of the harley kit which i quote "is junk". went to pick up the bike in the morning and got the bill which was $1685.71 which included the " junk" hd cam kit and not the fueling kit. the price of the parts seemed in line which included quick install pushrod kit and gasket kit but labor was 8 hrs and new fueling lifters were installed and cost 299.95. were new lifters necessary? and does 8 hrs labor seem high? i appreciate any comments and imput. PS, i rode 8500 miles with no problems but the lifters were definatley louder. thanks

Old 08-23-2009, 02:23 PM
simsjam
Cruiser

Check out my post on getting mine switched over to hydraulic on my 05 RG. I went to the dealer so the full cost was about $500 parts & labor. I did not get any other work related to that done. They would have put it back stock for free under the warranty but that is not fixing the problem.
I am guessing the fueling kit you mention is the gear driven option and that was offered to me but the cost was MUCH higher and more parts had to be changed. The advantage to gear drive is no problem with this issue ever again.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:10 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by pino56
I originally was told the install would include a fueling kit instead of the harley kit which i quote "is junk". went to pick up the bike in the morning and got the bill which was $1685.71 which included the " junk" hd cam kit and not the fueling kit.
Dont know about the price.
If you think the HD cam kit is "junk" and that is not what you wanted,then yes you got hosed.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:16 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I think you got hosed.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:20 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

no, the harley kit is not junk at all. and the stock lifters would have worked fine. harley would have perhaps charged you four hours at most for it, i'd think, perhaps five. i'm not a harley tech so i have no idea, but yeah, i'd say you got hosed into paying for your indys idea of what he thought you needed. would have been lots cheaper by going to the harley shop by far.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:43 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by pino56
I was going on a long road trip and decided to replace the cam tensioners on my 05 ultra with 45k on it. I brought the bike to a highly recommended indy [certified hd mech] 8 days prior to my departure date. I was told i'd have it back in a few days. The night before departure the bike just hit the lift. I obviously was pissed but not much i could do at that point. I originally was told the install would include a fueling kit instead of the harley kit which i quote "is junk". went to pick up the bike in the morning and got the bill which was $1685.71 which included the " junk" hd cam kit and not the fueling kit. the price of the parts seemed in line which included quick install pushrod kit and gasket kit but labor was 8 hrs and new fueling lifters were installed and cost 299.95. were new lifters necessary? and does 8 hrs labor seem high? i appreciate any comments and imput. PS, i rode 8500 miles with no problems but the lifters were definatley louder. thanks
If my math serves me right, you have about $900 in parts. $800 in labor seems a little steep. If he spent a little extra time making sure it was done right and you don't have to come back. Still a little steep but better.
What is his labor rate? I know this job can be done in 4 hours but I would take the guy that does it in 6-8 hours in most cases.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:23 PM
teamstersteward
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

$100.00 hr wow and I cry at $60.00 when I get anything done I get it in writing prior to having the work done and if he needs to deviate from the plan I get a call prior to the deviation but that's just me.........................if you didn't get exactly what you took it in for then I agree you was hosed.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:55 PM
0204665J
Tourer

It always pays to get a written quote with prices and exceptions prior to the start of any project. I would not let them start a project until an agreement was in place. Too many dollars involved and I don't work on a trust me mode unless a long term relationship has existed. Written order keep both parties honest and on the same page.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Yep......You got hosed!

Old 08-23-2009, 06:51 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I think maybe YES!

Quick Reply: Did i get hosed