Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did i get hosed

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:23 PM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Give him the link to this thread, and ask if maybe there was some miscalculation on the bill. If the bill is correct, advise him you are going to provide him with some free advertisement.

You got hosed. Did you get new cam shoes, or a hydraulic tensioner kit?

I recently had Andrews 21G gear driven cams installed under extended warranty. It would have been about $1,200 with parts, labor and tax if I had to pay the whole thing out of pocket.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

If your buddy came to you and related the story you related what would you tell him to do? Really, now; the guy says the HD piece is "junk;" gets you to go for the Fueling alternative; and, then installs the HD "junk." Seems pretty obvious to me that you should be in the guy's garage getting explanations and adjustments to the bill.

Old 08-23-2009, 08:43 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Well, I had an issue last year on the way to Sturgis. Had a lifter fail which took out my cam plate, oil pump, a set of S&S gear drive cams and one of the push rods from getting beat on. Total bill was 1200.00 for a cam plate kit, adjustable push rods, oil pump, 257 SE cams, and a set of lifters. I was on the road in Rapid City S.D. on a Sunday and they had me turned around in 4hrs. So I would ask why it took 8 hrs and why you didn't get the Fueling plate as you were expecting.
Anyone that needs a set of 257's with about 2,000 miles on them shoot me a PM. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread, just thought I would throw it out there...

Old 08-24-2009, 08:59 PM
ruin66
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

road master, how do you like the 21g cams? that's what I put in my 06 egc and I love them. don't hear to much about them though. seems most like the 26's better.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:24 PM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Just curious, how bad were the cam tensioners that he took out?

Old 08-25-2009, 04:41 AM
CroK
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local dealer charges $80 per hour labor. The SE cam support plate with hydraulic lifters I found online for $436 + shipping. The Fueling cam support plate is a bit more expensive. I believe I saw some where that it takes 4 hours to install. Had the Fueling plate been installed the price you were charged would have been more in line with your final cost. Alot of people will replace the lifters if there is any valve trian noise seemingly like a 'poke n hope' fix. Also, when I did my install, on the test drive an air bubble seemed to be traveling thru the system and one of the lifters collapsed but I was able to limp home at a slow speed with the collapsed lifter. Once I got home shut down then restarted after a few minutes debating to pull the lifter, the lifter filled with oil and all was good. I am like the other guys, if you got quoted for the fueling and ended up with the HD or SE cam support plate that sounds like a 'bait and switch' tactic to me. I'd at the very least have problems trusting that shop again. It took me approximately 6-7 hours to do the job myself, but I am particular about how things go together so I am deliberately slower than flat rate manual allotted time frame.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:57 AM
SeaHag
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

makes me angry to hear how you were taken on this deal. I've done three gear drive conversions for my friends and myself. The hardest part of the job is getting the stock exhaust off IMO.

I've been burned by three area dealers and haven't let anyone touch my bikes but me since the second year in 2002. It doesn't take long to accumulate a decent set of tools when you calculate how much money you save doing the work yourself.

complete gear drive kits with gaskets, bearings, cams, and lifters can be had on ebay for $550.00

Old 08-25-2009, 06:21 AM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear you were done over.....

With respect--rule no 1.
Never have a job done prior to leaving for a trip. Even though you got it into the shop 8 days prior to leaving, you just barely got it out in time.
He knew you were going to travel and made you play the waiting game.... I'll bet you readily pulled your wallet, handed over the $$ and couldn't wait to get it out the door, even though you knew in the back of your mind he robbed you.

No offense intended with the above; many of us have "been there and done that".....

What 0204665J said-- a written quote is a contract if the right words are used and is important at the end of the day.

Regards,
V2Evo96

Old 08-25-2009, 07:37 AM
pino56
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

in response to "Raps" question, the tensioners were pretty worn especially the inner. im glad i got the job done for piece of mind alone before an 8000mi trip, just wish i done it sooner and wasn't under the gun. lesson learned. thanks to all that replied, from your responses i've learned that i probably got beat up on labor charges [8 hrs @ 85.00/hr] and a set of lifters i probably didn't need. whats done is done, it sucks to take a hit like that but its really my fault for not doing my homework. that won't happen again. Again, thank you all for your imput.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:35 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think as long as your in there that replacing the lifters is a good idea. I know they are better than the old EVO ones but I use to go thru them every 30-40K miles.

Quick Reply: Did i get hosed