Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about switchin to synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 08:57 PM
mndemohead
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about switchin to synthetic

Im gonna do a fluid change on all 3 holes on my R.K. Going from Dino Oil to Synthetic, I know your not supposed to mix synthetic with Dinosaur Oil so here is my question, Is draining the old oil enough or do I need to flush it out some how? IM assuming the small amount of left over oil when I drain it wont hurt anything, but I want to be sure.

Old 06-06-2006, 08:58 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: question about switchin to synthetic

it wont hurt it...dont flush....but use Amsoil...it works good for me

Old 06-06-2006, 09:00 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or

Mobil 1 V-Twin

or

Redline

or

Royal Purple

The choice is yours. Use what makes you comfortable.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:30 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Like Bryan said.........let 'er rip. BTW, I've been running Mobil 1 15w-50 since my first fluid change and BelRay Hypoid in the trans. Great products.

Old 06-06-2006, 09:42 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Just don't Syn 3, and use Syn-gear oil in the trans and not syn motor oil.

Bob

Old 06-06-2006, 10:23 PM
wnogood
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only drawback to mixing synthetic oil and petroleum oil is that you reduce the positive effects of the synthetic by X amount, depending on how much petroleum oil is in the mix. If it is a minute amount, as in a changeover to synthetic, I would not sweat it....just be aware that you will not have 100% of the synthetic protection until after another oil change or so.

nogood o~`o

Old 06-06-2006, 10:24 PM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You will be fine without flushing, go ahead and switch.

I fail to see the problem that, it seems almost everyone, on the forum has with Syn 3. Harley is confident enough with it to warrantee their bikes using it, including the high preformance ones that come with Syn 3.
My bike has had it in there since the 1000 mile service, 20 K now and hasn't used any oil between the 5K changes. Is it me or what?

DC

PS, Use what ever you feel comfortable with. I used Mobil 1 V Twin before Syn 3...good stuff.

Old 06-06-2006, 10:37 PM
mndemohead
Tourer

Im going to run Amsoil, Im going to run 20-50 in the eng, and primary, and the 75-90 severe duty in the trans. I have run amsoil in several 2 stroke engines and it has been excellent. I ran syn 3 in my springer for 10,000 miles and had good luck with that also, not sure why so many are against it.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:33 PM
Kahuna
Road Master

You might want to check out the wear test that Amsoil did against Syn3. Then, you'll know why we are against it. Harley was also a Hypocrite. Before its oil came out, it was adamantly against using synthetic oil. Then, all of the sudden, changed its tune completely to promote that Syn3 crap! Plus, having the gall to charge $8.50 a quart for it too.

ORIGINAL: mndemohead

Im going to run Amsoil, Im going to run 20-50 in the eng, and primary, and the 75-90 severe duty in the trans. I have run amsoil in several 2 stroke engines and it has been excellent. I ran syn 3 in my springer for 10,000 miles and had good luck with that also, not sure why so many are against it.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:38 PM
Bruce00
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kahuna

You might want to check out the wear test that Amsoil did against Syn3. Then, you'll know why we are against it. Harley was also a Hypocrite. Before its oil came out, it was adamantly against using synthetic oil. Then, all of the sudden, changed its tune completely to promote that Syn3 crap! Plus, having the gall to charge $8.50 a quart for it too.

ORIGINAL: mndemohead

Yeah, thats got to be the funniest thing the MoCo has done in a long time.........Synthetic bad, Oh wait, we sell it now....Synthetic Good

Quick Reply: question about switchin to synthetic