Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's great to see patriotic people out there.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 03:49 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts
Default It's great to see patriotic people out there.

Since I'm tired of seeing all the "I pulled the Trigger" threads I thought I'd post something I found interesting instead of just being bored.

In Charleston there is a Bosch plant. There are many Germans transplanted here working the plant. I don't work there, I just see them coming and going. So three days in a row I have followed this guy home on his BMW. I can always pick him out because he has a huge POW/MIA patch in the middle of his ballistic nylon air weave jacket. Crested by a huge BMW patch on top.

Germans don't bother me, hell that was a long time ago. I even have a Sister in Germany teaching. I don't hate Germans, the Japanese, Italians or VC for that matter, but somehow seeing this BMW logo on a guys jacket within like 1 inch of a POW/MIA logo kinda got me thinking. Thinking I want to ride up and tell the F'er off. I want to stop him and ask...How many MIAs did the Germans create for us? Twice? How many were POWs? I want to rip that damn thing off his jacket.

I know some people are **** about HD stickers on Japanese cars.
I wonder how many of those people would be bothered by my BMW rider.
Perhaps not enough even alive today to even care. Weird huh?

lp

Old 08-22-2009, 04:07 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

My thoughts are this:

He rides and just happens to be a BMW. In the movie wild hogs Peter Fonda says it best; get out there and ride that's what it's about.

If he prefers BMW bikes then who am I to say anything. He is still showing his colors by displaying the pow/mia. Many people from different countries support our troops and some who rides displays the pow/mia patch/flag. Getting the news out is the most important thing we can do, remembering those who served.

As a D.A.V., shot 4 times, shrapnel from 2 different B40 rockets, I am in support to those who remembers and tries to carry the message so others may remember.

My post of the ALR wanted to have a get together for celebration on Memorial day. I stopped it with support from my comrades.

I have a lot of friends that live in different countries and we ride together once a year. They all have American flags and POW flags on their bikes, They support us.

It is up to us to appreciate them in that small support.

In God We Trust

dd

Old 08-22-2009, 04:30 PM
devils haircut
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another way of looking at it is like this: All those POW's and Vets fought for his freedom to ride whatever bike he wants. If you "ripped that f'er off" of his jacket...well I think YOU would be the one disrespecting the Vets and all the freedoms they fought for. No disrespect, just another perspective from a serviceman. If anything, just laugh at the irony.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:47 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

There is an old saying...dont criticize a person till you walk a mile in his/her shoes...Seems to me if you have so much time on your hands maybe you should stop and talk to this person and find out his story before you jump to conclusions.....My father Irish..My mother German...So what!!! Im a half breed...
Am i missing something?

Last edited by riteway; 08-22-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:52 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

Dang. I was hoping I could get some fire going. I fail.

Oh well. Back to changing the oil in my bikes...

lp

Old 08-22-2009, 05:02 PM
rogerfromco
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
Dang. I was hoping I could get some fire going. I fail.

Oh well. Back to changing the oil in my bikes...

lp
Yep. It seems like the voices of reason win this round!

Old 08-22-2009, 05:24 PM
cromagnon
Grand HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

WTF?

This is one bizarre thread.

Do we have to ride American bikes or drive American cars to care about our POW/MIA?

If you are bored lp, you might find something more logical to post about. It may bother you, but I got an HD sticker on my Subaru. Of course it has more American made parts on it than anything made in Detroit.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:51 PM
KopperTop
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This must be the stupidest post in weeks. Can't be real. No seriously, tell me people in South Carolina aren't all this ignorant.

Old 08-22-2009, 06:50 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Yeah, and what does it have to do with HD Touring bikes? Can't find the Off Topic beeatching forum?

Old 08-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Got home at about 5:00pm according to my Swiss watch and went to my German fridge to get a Canadian beer so I could go sit on my Chinese barstool and log on to my Japanese laptop which is sittin on a Brazilian granite slab thats on top of some Mexican cabinets.

I'm also a USAF VET that happens to be a Heins 57 Mutt and proud of it. I'm fairly certain that there's probably some German DNA in there somewhere but who cares.

Looking forward to ride a little later on my American motorcycle with my English wife.

Quick Reply: It's great to see patriotic people out there.