Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

windsheild height -look through or over?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 02:34 PM
Kenan
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default windsheild height -look through or over?

My real question is whether to look through the windshield or over it. In a situation of riding all day in the rain I've had enough trouble seeing through it that I prefer to be able to look over the top. What do all the other touring types with the taller windhsields do in a heavey rain?

Old 08-20-2009, 02:44 PM
Jonny Cannon
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I first took my Ultra for a test ride, the top of the windshield was right across my line of sight and drove me bananas. I'm 6'2", and before I even brought the bike home I got rid of the windshield in favor of a 9" tinted. It's high enough to deflect wind/rain/bugs, but low enough that I can see through it.

Cannon

Old 08-20-2009, 02:47 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,895 Likes on 1,423 Posts

I've had both kinds, and I prefer the look-through type. My windshield is just taller than where I look, so I look through for most things. In a really bad downpour, I can sit up a little and look over the top if I have to.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:51 PM
lmb1485
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got a 8" recurve and see two inches over it ....i'm 6'

riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
I've had both kinds, and I prefer the look-through type. My windshield is just taller than where I look, so I look through for most things. In a really bad downpour, I can sit up a little and look over the top if I have to.

CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

Just depends on how many bugs are stuck to the windshield whether or not I am looking through it or over it.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:54 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For safety look over the shield as any rain or fog will not allow you to look through it. For max protection look through it. Most manufactuars recomend that the top of the shield should be between your mouth and the tip of your nose.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:04 PM
ivel_86
Tourer

I like mine to be between the bottom of my chin to my mouth. Perfect. If I slotch hard I look threw it. If I sit right I see over it which is more confortable for me.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:10 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dr.Hess
Yep, this is me also. I like it when those big bugs hit the windshield instead of me. That being said, I took the windshield completely off my RKC and am loving that right now but not on the Ultra.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:13 PM
sfchief
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Over Kenan for reason you stated. Can't see too well though road grime when it rains. The recurve works well to increase the size of the dead space behind the shield without increasing the height. A freind of mine prefers looking through the shield on his RK, but I've never seen him ride in the rain. If there's a cloud in the sky, his scoot stays in the garage. He also has to clean the bugs off his shield at every gas stop when he does ride.

Quick Reply: windsheild height -look through or over?