Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review - Flanders - FLH - Pullback bars Model 650-28725

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 05:54 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Review - Flanders - FLHT - Pullback bars Model 650-28725

Review for the Flanders pull back bars for the Batwing FLHT bikes...

I want to start by saying, I have been on Harley's now since 96 - Started with a

Fatboy and ran Wild1's 513 from 97-00
Wide Glide (same bars as above) 00-04
FLHTCI Wild1 575 - 04-06
Road Glide - Wild1 513 one week - the 517's from 06-09
Now back on the FLHTCI and the Wild1 575 from May - Aug (today)

I am 59 years old 5'6" (retired Firefighter)

I REALLY like the Wild1's chubby look and their quality is GREAT and Customer service is Great.

However for the FLHT bikes - all we have for choices on these bikes is the 575 or apes...

I have been on the forum now for some time and very OFTEN - the topic of bars comes up and everyone has a suggestion... More and more their are short riders both men and women.

After being on the RG for three years, I loved the pull back of the 517's in going back to the 575 - I just felt it was just a little too wide... I rode from Turlock Ca to Sturgis and Back. I did fine but after a long day - I had that pain in the middle of my back from the bars being just a little wide and tall ?????

Anyway, started looking and from the forum here I found a post talking about the

Flanders 650-28725 -- I called and talked to John at Flanders. I had seveal questions and his custom service was 110% - I ask if these were avail in Black Powder Coat - he said No, but he would do a set for me if that was what I wanted... I had never had black bars before and it was time for a change.

It took a few weeks but the bars arrived and looked great. I was ready for the install.. Below is a picture showing

Wild1 575 in the back
Flanders 650-28726 (in black) in the middle
and stock HD FLHTC bars

Its kinda hard to really compare like this because each bar is sitting next to the others but it will give you an idea.

Now this is where I became unhappy with Flanders and it promted several calls back to John.. Again, his customer service was great and he took time on the phone to explain to me..

However, IF you order Flanders bars (anyone) and want to put them on any touring bike - the hole at the bottom is TOO SMALL and will NOT work.

What John said (and he kept repeating himself - legal reasons he said) The hole as as big as THEY felt it would be safe to be ?????????????/ WTF ?????????

I told him, these bars were for a FLHTC and the wires from left and right would NOT fit - therefore, they way the bars were shipped weres USELESS??? He went on to say IF I wanted to make the hole larger - that would be up to me but Flanders would be a part of that?????????? We talked for some time, I pulled out my Wild1 bars and my Caliper - big difference - keep in mind - the Wild1 bars at the clamp is 1" -- He was surprised - I went on to tell John that Wild1 insists on the customer use a 'single bar clamp' on their bars - this seem to solve the concern that John had - but John said Flanders would not change their policy... He did say most of his customers made the hole bigger - I said "YAAA", because we can NOT use them the way they were shipped..

Out came my drimel and all went well - One other area that was a problem with Flanders and John said this was their 'Bad" the hole up at the grip area - both sides had metal burs inside that were razor sharp - after I tried to use the stock hole - it took me an Hour to get my left side wire back out - no real damage but the cover for the wireds was really cut up... I used a 10" round file and finished off the inside... I strongly suggest on any bar you buy - if internal wires are to be used.. get a flashlight and look inside... remove any burs before you run the wires...

After all was said and done, I got the bars on and the feel is Perfect... My hand rest in a very natural feel and I am sure I am going to be happy...

##### Note....

I did call Wild1 and told them that I was a big fan of their "Chubby" bars but the 575 were just too wide and I ended up going somewhere else..

Wild1 told me that they are coming out with more New bars after ther first of the year - So, look for maybe a pullback for the FLHT bikes..

I told them - my opinion - there is a market for these bars and Chubby is the way to go..

I am attaching two pictures with the Flanders bars on my 04 FLHTCI - Best way to compare them to Your stock HD bars... look at your right break resivor and brake grip in relationship to the right speaker area and then look at the pictures below..

This set up does NOT feel like a wheel barrow hold - it feels very natural

If for any reason you are in the Turlock / Modesto area and would like to feel these.. I am very open to helping people..

I truly feel that each bike needs to fits its rider - esp for long rides.

harley0711@yahoo.com

Ultra Classic® Style Narrow Handlebars - That are 2" Taller and plus 2" more Pullback: Measurements

Height: 9.5"
Pullback: 15.5"
Center: 11.5"
Width: 31"
Diameter: 1"

650-28725

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/Americ...lassic2-2.html

Last edited by harley0711; 08-19-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 08:17 PM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, lame that Flanders would sell a bar that they know doesn't work, then expect you to hog it out if you want to use them.
Are you interested in selling the chubbys?

Old 08-19-2009, 09:03 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

That was my main question with John at Flanders - I suggested they put a note on their website or just Not sell the internal wire bars - didn't seem interested - just said most people just ream them out and that the small wire bundles are not as big a problem - but the Batwing bikes have the radio - cruise make for big bundles...

Bottom line - I really like the flanders - great feel...

To answer your question about selling the chubby's

The 513's and the 517's - Possible...

In fact - I have ALL the parts to turn a EG into a RG - I will be putting together a pricing and pictures in week or so..

Old 08-20-2009, 07:12 AM
SGChick
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice write-up Michael! It's good to know the pros and cons of the Flanders bars. I've been interested in them for awhile. After all the hard work I'm glad you like them! We'll have to get together again so I can check them out. Say hi to Arlene for me!! Melanie

Last edited by SGChick; 08-20-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:41 AM
Oldman Harley
Road Captain

I installed these bars about a year ago and I love them. I am a small guy 5'6" and they are a perfect fit but I did have to do a bit of work on them. Had to notch the end for the TBW and on mine there was no hole in the center for the TBW wires to exit so I too used a dremel and made one. These bars are dimpled and not meant to be wired internally.

Tim

Old 08-20-2009, 09:39 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oldman Harley
I installed these bars about a year ago and I love them. I am a small guy 5'6" and they are a perfect fit but I did have to do a bit of work on them. Had to notch the end for the TBW and on mine there was no hole in the center for the TBW wires to exit so I too used a dremel and made one. These bars are dimpled and not meant to be wired internally.

Tim
It was YOUR post that I read and decided I wanted to try the Flanders - I really do like them - a little more work than I thought and It would have been a lot easier had I known I needed to enlarge the hole - all is well now..

SGChick - Let us know the next time you are headed to Sonora... I think you are going to like these bars.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:51 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

did you have to get extended cables/brake line?

Old 08-20-2009, 10:38 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

This is an 04 FLHTCI and I had been running the 575's for a while - Yes, some of the cables do need to be changed... I believe the clutch part number is on this post https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...n-be-done.html If you look at your stock brake line - the older ones use a solid line and most of the time people replace that with a flex line. I did but agian, I have forgotten what the part numbers were.. Check with "oldman harley" I am sure he can supply these numbers. It does take a little work - the first time - but it makes riding so much better and IF you are doing some Touring and sitting in the saddle for long periods - It is well worth it.. any question, PM anytime.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:49 AM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Oldman Harley

Tim

I just re-read your post.... agian,,, YOU turned on the light for me on this idea - and these are great bars... The Flanders web site Now shows the bars are made BOTH

Dimpled & punched for internal wiring - two different part numbers also

.. That was my problem - I got the punched set thinking they were 'ready' for internal wiring - however they arrived with very small holes punched - that is what created the phone calls and statements from Flanders...

Their information on the website is somewhat misleading - Yes, they are punced for internal wiring ONLY if you run maybe two wires done the bars - IF you want to run both left and right wire bundles from a FLHTCI - you are going to have make the hole bigger..

Kinda like buying a car and finding the fuel tank holds a gallon of fuel - you call the manufacture and they tell you - thats the biggest tank we felt we could install and be safe??? lol,,, silly but a good comparision ???

Old 08-20-2009, 11:43 AM
hamnhog
Cruiser

Excellent writeup and REALLY love the pics. Best I've seen for showing the difference in bars and how they are positioned on the bike. I've posted several times about the WO575s and how much I don't like them. I asked my parts guy about the Flanders bars and he said their chrome plating was not nearly as good as Wild One's and others. From your pics, it looks like they would have been exactly what I needed. Thanks for your efforts.

Quick Reply: Review - Flanders - FLH - Pullback bars Model 650-28725