Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing fluids

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 08:07 AM
ncbeast
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing fluids

Been meaning to ask but going to change my oil and tramsmission fluid today. When draining on the jiffy stand do you need to straighten up the bike to get the last bit of oil out of the oil pan and transmission pan?

I have a jack and a stand that I can use if needed but if it will not take long I could just drain as much as it will on the jiffy stand and then straighten it up for a few minutes to get the rest out. The only problems is I will not know when it is finished draining.

2008 Road Glide

Thanks

Old 08-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the engine is good and warm there is no need to stand it up straight. I just leave mine on the side stand and go have a beer. When it's done draining I put the plug(s) back in. ...Just my 02...

Old 08-19-2009, 08:22 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I'm not sure about the tranny, but I get an extra 3rd of a quart out of the engine when I lift the bike strait up off the jiffy stand.

Beary

Old 08-19-2009, 09:17 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 338 Likes on 194 Posts

When oil stops running out it is finished draining.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:32 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by beary
I'm not sure about the tranny, but I get an extra 3rd of a quart out of the engine when I lift the bike strait up off the jiffy stand.
I don't know why that would be unless your drain plug is in a different location than mine...Mine is located on the low side or left hand side of the oil pan.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:48 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Ranger
I don't know why that would be unless your drain plug is in a different location than mine...Mine is located on the low side or left hand side of the oil pan.
I know and I agree, but one day just for giggles I put my jack under the bike and raised it just enough to level the bike and sure enough I watch another 3rd qt drained out. I've repeated that several times since because I ltypically leave it on the jiffy stand to drain the primary while I drain the engine. Then I level the bike to get that the last 3rd. I have not tried it with the tranny because I already drain it level. But I may experiment with it on the jiffy stand next time.

Maybe the oil if coming from the engine, I don't know. I would love to have some kind of cutaway drawing that shows the internals of 96 engine.

I also found that I can get another half quart if I run the engine for 3 seconds. I only did that to get all the dino oil out when I switched to synthetic.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:03 AM
Road Ranger
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by beary
I know and I agree, but one day just for giggles I put my jack under the bike and raised it just enough to level the bike and sure enough I watch another 3rd qt drained out. I've repeated that several times since because I ltypically leave it on the jiffy stand to drain the primary while I drain the engine. Then I level the bike to get that the last 3rd. I have not tried it with the tranny because I already drain it level. But I may experiment with it on the jiffy stand next time.

Hmmm...I'll have to give that a try and see if I get more oil to drain...Thanks for the heads up!

Old 08-19-2009, 10:26 AM
paguy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sit on bike, stand up and swivel it back and forth. Extra oil will flow. The tranny pretty easy. Most fluid will run out of tranny. To prevent overfilling anything I started measuring what comes out then put same back in. Extra ounces for filter.