Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Easy Way to Add Air to Tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:36 PM
Jahillsr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great idea! Thanks for sharing I may use it as an extention for the ezgauge I just ordered. Thanks for posting that too!

Old 01-14-2010, 09:56 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,357 Likes on 2,536 Posts

i used your idea to fab something up. thanks. it is a whole lot easier to put that 90 degree locking chuck on the valve stem, no matter where it is on the tire rotation. i always hated having to move the bike forward or back 5 or 6 inches to get the compressor air chuck on there.

much easier now

Old 01-15-2010, 10:51 AM
fripple
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just made one of these today. Very simple. I think the hardest part was getting the rubber off of the valve stem. I put some sealant on mine and I'm going to use the clamp also. Hopefully it'll seal up good.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 01-15-2010, 12:08 PM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never considered putting air in the tire difficult. It comes with the fun and trills of being a Harley rider.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:34 PM
fripple
Road Warrior

Tested and works perfect. This thing is going in my saddlebag.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:04 PM
Clint55
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use this little air chuck quick disconnect that attaches to the LP inflator hose on my diving regulator. Works great and no need to ever fire up the compressor for air checks on bike, truck, boat trailer, etc. Like others, I just lay down and check my bikes tires at home about once a week. No big deal.

The OP's gizmo is great for having a simple inexpensive adaptor on the road for air stations with straight nozzles. Thanks for the tip.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:52 PM
patriotmc
Road Captain

Some people don't think it's a PITA to check. I sure think it is. On the road and encounter one of those air pumps that have the 5" straight metal valve end. You have to be a contorsionist to get it on between the brake disk and the cast whell spokes! I've encountered some that just can't be made to work and had to go find another gas station that had a normal valve stem connector on the end of their hose.

Also, yeah, it's nice to check your tires before your ride out from your house in the morning and fill from your compressor, but for those of use that sometimes take our bikes for a little ride overnight.... we don't have that convenience! Geez!

Nice post, thanks for the idea. I may search the internet to see if a premade solution is out there, but otherwise, I'll make one of these hoses up before my next overnighter!

Old 01-15-2010, 03:27 PM
jimsreddyna
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Jinks,

I would like to do that when I put the next set of tires on my bike. You need to be careful though. I read a story in one of the bike magazines that I get about a guy who put a 90 deg valve in the rear rim but had a problem. When he took off from the dealer with his new tire and valve, he thought he heard a clicking noise then the rear end got squirrley and he went down. the problem was the valve stem stuck out just far enough to be touching the brake rotor and it got pulled out of the rim.

Like I said, I plan to do this but I want to find a 90 deg with informatiion that tells me it will fit my year and model bike before I do it.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:46 PM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just go to my Indy once a week and he does it for me. A real nice guy!

Quick Reply: An Easy Way to Add Air to Tires