Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Easy Way to Add Air to Tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:59 PM
bksmoky
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent a few bucks to put Nitrogen in my tires. Holds the air pressure more consistantly. My dealer does checks and adds nitrogen for free as needed. Ya, it's the lazy approach while around town.

But I like your idea for checking on the road. First set of new tires--90 degree valve stems for sure!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rogerfromco
They can rag on you all they want, but I know exactly what you are talking about. The valve stems are short and if the damn gas station air hoses had 90 degree fill fittings on them and weren't on the self retracting hose reels, it'd be easier to push the valve stem over to try to get the fitting on.
Yep, more trouble than it should be. Here's a novel idea Harley ........ why not put 90 degree valve stems on the damn wheels like other makers have for years? This way it won't matter what kind of end the air hose has. In my garage I have a straight-style commercial hose, the tire gauge is another angle and the one I keep on the bike is yet a different angle. If the dude finds a better way to do anything, I'm all for that. Always room to improve!

Old 08-20-2009, 10:08 PM
wldbill
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I do my own air in the garage with my 39 year old Sears hand tire pump. I'll be making up one of those gizmos before I hit the road next month and have to rely on station air. I don't really need to say all this but it's worth it to bump this thread back to page 1. And it's a damn sight cheape than those ThunderStar wheels I was thinking of buying to make the air checks easier.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:25 PM
hogrider09
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard the nitro trick keeps teh pressure more consistent. I might look into that also. Im headed to the rv shop and see on 90 degree valve stems for a quick connect in the rear when filling. I liked the style 88b showed.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:53 PM
cbears
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by SC_Compact
I used to think that people who asked if there was an easy way to add air to the touring bikes were nuts until I got my Street Glide. The last time I added air I had to lie on my side and try to get the straight air hose onto the shrader valve. I used up 75 cents worth of air and barely got any air into the tires.

Well here is what I came up with. It works like a CHARM!!!!!

I went to WalMart and bought a MaxAir hand pump for $8.00. It was in the Auto Section not the bicycle section and it is made in the USA. I then went to the Tire & Lube Dept. and bought a long rubber Shrader valve for two dollars. They had a long and short one and I purchased the long one. I also bought a set of small hose clamps for $3.00.

Cut the rubber hose off of the air pump. Cut most of the rubber off of the shrader valve exposing the brass (see picture). Insert the brass portion of the shrader valve into the hose from the hand pump and secure it with a hose clamp. The shrader valve I purchased fit really tightly into the rubber air hose but I used a hose clamp to make sure it would not leak air.

When you need to add air to your tires attach the air hose to the valve on your tire and lock it down. Now attach the air hose, at the gas station, to the hose you just made and add air to your tire. You can also check your air pressure too.

Hope this helps.
AWESOME idea!!! Absolute genius! thanks.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:45 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

Originally Posted by SC_Compact
I used to think that people who asked if there was an easy way to add air to the touring bikes were nuts until I got my Street Glide. The last time I added air I had to lie on my side and try to get the straight air hose onto the shrader valve. I used up 75 cents worth of air and barely got any air into the tires.

Well here is what I came up with. It works like a CHARM!!!!!

I went to WalMart and bought a MaxAir hand pump for $8.00. It was in the Auto Section not the bicycle section and it is made in the USA. I then went to the Tire & Lube Dept. and bought a long rubber Shrader valve for two dollars. They had a long and short one and I purchased the long one. I also bought a set of small hose clamps for $3.00.

Cut the rubber hose off of the air pump. Cut most of the rubber off of the shrader valve exposing the brass (see picture). Insert the brass portion of the shrader valve into the hose from the hand pump and secure it with a hose clamp. The shrader valve I purchased fit really tightly into the rubber air hose but I used a hose clamp to make sure it would not leak air.

When you need to add air to your tires attach the air hose to the valve on your tire and lock it down. Now attach the air hose, at the gas station, to the hose you just made and add air to your tire. You can also check your air pressure too.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I need that bad

Old 08-21-2009, 03:32 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Coulda just got the 12V electric one at Walmart. They work just fine.

Old 08-22-2009, 05:31 PM
TxDeuce
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just put this together and it works great! Nice addition to the saddle bags for those times when I need to put air in the tire on the road. Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-22-2009, 05:54 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Great setup. A female to female valve with an 15" hose in between comes also quite handy when a good samaritan shares some air from a spare or running tire (when you're away from a compressor).

Mimo.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:51 PM
fripple
Road Warrior

cool idea. i have an 09 Road Glide and checking the pressure is a pain. I'm gonna try to whip one of these things up unless I can buy something that will do the trick.

Quick Reply: An Easy Way to Add Air to Tires