Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Easy Way to Add Air to Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 11:26 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sonar_chris
I just push the valve stem over a little bit and the air chuck fits just fine.
BINGO....do not see WTF tthe problem is must be only on bikes that get wind buffetting

Old 05-30-2012, 02:42 PM
wildey
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just bought this inflater from valve pal and love it. Scroll down the page. I got the 90/straight so I can use it on the bike and the car.

http://www.easycart.net/ValvePal/Order_page.html

Old 05-30-2012, 03:06 PM
Twillis
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had 2 of the Harley Davidson Valve Stem Extensions that they sell for $10, and neither has worked right. Took the first one back and got a new one under warranty. when you thread it on, air immediately starts coming out of the tire. If you adjust the core so that it won't leak air, then it won't pass air into the tire, either. Anyone else had this problem?

Old 05-30-2012, 04:04 PM
VineRider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Twillis
I have had 2 of the Harley Davidson Valve Stem Extensions that they sell for $10, and neither has worked right. Took the first one back and got a new one under warranty. when you thread it on, air immediately starts coming out of the tire. If you adjust the core so that it won't leak air, then it won't pass air into the tire, either. Anyone else had this problem?
I had one and it did exactly the same thing. Extremely poor design. I've just resigned myself to pushing the valve stem over a bit to get the air chuck on.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:12 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I wrote a critical review of it last fall. The schraeder valve was loose in mine and the stem too long and tapered on the inside so when I added air the stem stuck in allowing all my hard pumped air out. A dealer in Trussville Al replaced the schraeder valve with a better one with a not so long stem. That was the first time I used it and not impressed. Since the repairs, it does work better but have angled metal stems to install when tires replaced.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Bocifus
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, bought two, one for my bud and one for me, neither worked properly. My bud's was an easy fix. The o-ring was interfering with the valve extension, he made a minor adjustment and he says it works. I could not get mine to work. Took it back to the dealership and got another as an exchange. This one doesn't work either.

Going to make up one like the op.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Mountain Bound
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the EZ gauge and it takes a couple of tries to get it to seat properly. You have to get it just right or air will rush out. However, once on it works great.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:12 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Inflation

Originally Posted by medic1555
For those who don't want to DIY:
http://www.getagauge.com/MotorcycleTireGauges.cfm
Good link thanks, and two thumbs up to the OP like that idea too.

I spent a considerable part of and hour on my side and back in my garage
Trying to inflate my RKC tires to correct cold pressure. Okay, I even
Let some choice words go while trying to accomplish the task.
I can appreciate old school, but dang it- why don't 90 degree stems come with
The bikes????
My chronic tendinitis from a work injury years back, limits my dexterity and hand strength, so that really compounded my frustration when I tried to check air psi and inflate to correct psi in tires.

Thanks again for the DIY and link for non DIY

Old 05-30-2012, 06:24 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 90 degree stem should be standard

Originally Posted by Terrabella
That's not the point. Why should it be difficult to put air in a tire. It is purely a safety issue. Yes it can be done but it should be easy. I am sure some of us don't check air pressure as often as we should simple because it is so dam hard to do so. Harley engineers have their heads up their butts to have design a valve stem that is near impossible to reach. Dam man, Honda Gold Wing's have a 90 degree valve why not Harley Davidson. It is a poor design and should be corrected.
I agree.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:53 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 389 Likes on 225 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by SC_Compact
I used to think that people who asked if there was an easy way to add air to the touring bikes were nuts until I got my Street Glide. The last time I added air I had to lie on my side and try to get the straight air hose onto the shrader valve. I used up 75 cents worth of air and barely got any air into the tires.

Well here is what I came up with. It works like a CHARM!!!!!

I went to WalMart and bought a MaxAir hand pump for $8.00. It was in the Auto Section not the bicycle section and it is made in the USA. I then went to the Tire & Lube Dept. and bought a long rubber Shrader valve for two dollars. They had a long and short one and I purchased the long one. I also bought a set of small hose clamps for $3.00.

Cut the rubber hose off of the air pump. Cut most of the rubber off of the shrader valve exposing the brass (see picture). Insert the brass portion of the shrader valve into the hose from the hand pump and secure it with a hose clamp. The shrader valve I purchased fit really tightly into the rubber air hose but I used a hose clamp to make sure it would not leak air.

When you need to add air to your tires attach the air hose to the valve on your tire and lock it down. Now attach the air hose, at the gas station, to the hose you just made and add air to your tire. You can also check your air pressure too.

Hope this helps.
My wifes 06 ultra isn't hard to check and fill the tires but my 2012 ultra is a pain in the a$$. I saw this thread and decided to give it a try. The pump was $10 and a 2 pack of shrader valves was under $4. It makes airing up the 06 very easy and makes airing up the 2012 much better. It will also make filling at any gas station easy no matter what kind of air chuck they have. At home I raise the bikes up on a jack with the trans in neutral. Then sit on a stool and I can freely spin both tires and I'm not down on the floor. Thanks for the idea SC Compact.

Quick Reply: An Easy Way to Add Air to Tires