Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Easy Way to Add Air to Tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Valve Stem

Originally Posted by Ronp42
For Christ sake, it's a motorcycle! If Harley put right angled fitting's on the rims, some of you ladies would be moaning about it doesn't look good, why aren't they straight. Sure it's a little difficult to get to. Maybe you ladies should join Jimbo in his NHTSA lawsuit
That's not the point. Why should it be difficult to put air in a tire. It is purely a safety issue. Yes it can be done but it should be easy. I am sure some of us don't check air pressure as often as we should simple because it is so dam hard to do so. Harley engineers have their heads up their butts to have design a valve stem that is near impossible to reach. Dam man, Honda Gold Wing's have a 90 degree valve why not Harley Davidson. It is a poor design and should be corrected.

Old 02-26-2011, 11:27 AM
vistavette
Stellar HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrabella
That's not the point. Why should it be difficult to put air in a tire. It is purely a safety issue. Yes it can be done but it should be easy. I am sure some of us don't check air pressure as often as we should simple because it is so dam hard to do so. Harley engineers have their heads up their butts to have design a valve stem that is near impossible to reach. Dam man, Honda Gold Wing's have a 90 degree valve why not Harley Davidson. It is a poor design and should be corrected.

I totally agree. Its such a pain and there's no reason it has to be so hard. I did build the op's tool that works great but I shouldn't have to.

Old 02-26-2011, 12:21 PM
silversmoke
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for the good ideas

I have a 2011 Electraglide and checking the air pressure on these late model bikes is a pain in the a$$. Thanks to the original contributor of this thread for an inexpensive and helpful solution. I also like the idea of the billet right-angle valve stems and plan on ordering a set to use the first time I need a new set of tires

Old 02-26-2011, 12:51 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrabella
I see this old thread has come to life again. I also realize I was a little harsh with my post. What I meant to say was, I don't have a problem with putting air in my tires. I rigged a fitting to my air compressor at Home. I don't stop at service stations to get air unless it's an emergency. Good way to get moisture! I have spoked rims on my RK, but with my arrangement I have at home, it's no problem putting air in my tires. I will say if I had as many complaints about the way Harley Engineers built the bikes as I see on this forum, I would not have bought one.

Old 02-26-2011, 01:24 PM
Horned Owl
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hogrider09
I had the same question two days ago. Someone recommended getagauge.com (the ezair gauge). Hopefully Ill get mine Wed.
There are a few on the bay for $20ish shipped.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi guys,
After reading this interesting thread, I found and bought this extension tube:
http://www.zone-interdite.fr/product...roducts_id=106

In fact, it's a Schrader valve extension made for trucks with large or multiple tires. You'll also find the extension referenced R1104-2 in this catalog:
http://www.google.fr/url?q=http://ww...2oZJbiOoX9LYoA

You may find this accessory around the corner from your place

Old 03-03-2011, 08:26 PM
V2Evo96
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you OP! A great idea-- I too find the OEM alve stem a PITA, although not TOO hard to do at home. Will make one this weekend.

Cheers!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good idea. Sometimes it is a real pain to check and fill.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:33 PM
2000FiveOh
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just use a 90 degree valve. No need to get cosmic on something like this. Screw the 90 on...air up your tire...take the 90 off. You could probably leave the 90's in place if you had your wheels balanced with them on. I use the same 90 degree valves on my valves for airing up the shocks. Only the ones on the shock valves stay on permanently so I dont need to remove the bags to air up.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Another idea

Originally Posted by SC_Compact
I used to think that people who asked if there was an easy way to add air to the touring bikes were nuts until I got my Street Glide. The last time I added air I had to lie on my side and try to get the straight air hose onto the shrader valve. I used up 75 cents worth of air and barely got any air into the tires.

Well here is what I came up with. It works like a CHARM!!!!!

I went to WalMart and bought a MaxAir hand pump for $8.00. It was in the Auto Section not the bicycle section and it is made in the USA. I then went to the Tire & Lube Dept. and bought a long rubber Shrader valve for two dollars. They had a long and short one and I purchased the long one. I also bought a set of small hose clamps for $3.00.

Cut the rubber hose off of the air pump. Cut most of the rubber off of the shrader valve exposing the brass (see picture). Insert the brass portion of the shrader valve into the hose from the hand pump and secure it with a hose clamp. The shrader valve I purchased fit really tightly into the rubber air hose but I used a hose clamp to make sure it would not leak air.

When you need to add air to your tires attach the air hose to the valve on your tire and lock it down. Now attach the air hose, at the gas station, to the hose you just made and add air to your tire. You can also check your air pressure too.

Hope this helps.
You had a great idea so I improvised on it a bit. As you can see, I used my AccuGauge and cut off the end that would connect to the valve stem and used a 90 degree valve stem and connected it to the cut end. Now, I can easily add air AND see how much air is being added.

Last edited by Terrabella; 12-28-2011 at 06:38 AM.

Quick Reply: An Easy Way to Add Air to Tires