Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drain plug o-rings

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010 | 08:40 PM
DPete
|
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Who started this thread anyway? hehhe It's all about the O

Old 02-26-2010 | 11:12 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member

geez nobody told me I needed to change the orings. I have over 76000 miles on and I change oil at least every 7 or 8000 miles only use the cheapest oil I can find I even sometimes go drain it out my neighbor's tractor oil when he is not looking and have resued the original oring. never drips or leaks. I do however use a little pipe dope on the threads.

Old 02-27-2010 | 01:20 AM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by dawg
-013 is the cross reference size for HD pn#11105. McMaster-Carr has pn#9452K57 which is a bag of 100 for $2.47 and it is a Buna-N o-ring which will work just fine. It is best to get a Viton o-ring and McMaster has pn#1201T24 which is a bag of 50 for $8.20 and these are the vitons.
Good information bringing up the o-ring material, OD-ID-WD are not the only factors to consider.

Be careful of using a BUNA-N o-ring, the maximum recommended temperature for this material is 248 degrees F. While it is recommend for use with petroleum oils, other things such as brake fluid, steering fluid, ozone, sunlight, etc. are very detrimental to this material. While these o-rings are not in direct contact with harmful agents, you are driving through much of this stuff that has fallen out of the cages. I would stick with o-rings made of Viton which has a maximum temperature rating of 392 degrees F and is only affected by compounds such as ammonia and hot acids.

BUNA-N o-rings are right on the edge of what will work and what will fail so for me paying an extra 14 cents per o-ring is worth my peace of mind.

Old 02-27-2010 | 05:32 AM
Fitter64
Cruiser

After reading all these posts, I find it very humorous how the change in technology has effected the Harley rider. The fact that the options of different tools and materials could lead to an ongoing conversation of chemistry to physics. I remember years ago we gapped our points with match books (no part #) and cut out head and base gaskets from phone book covers (no part #). Never had a problem with either method. I sometimes wonder if all the technology today was intended to improve our lives or is it just a way to keep making money?. Remember when there was no rubber or plastic, Harley was considered "Real Steel". I admit my Road King is alot nicer ride than my rigid choppers of [Great] days gone by, but sometimes it just makes me wonder WTF, when a bike conversation turns into a NASA debate. It's just me I guess. I like simple. No disrespect to all involved. All I know it's about THE RIDE. It's always been.

Old 02-27-2010 | 05:46 AM
curlydee
Road Master

JB weild works just fine also.

Old 02-27-2010 | 05:47 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Default Anyone want to sell

Good info on the O Ring...Anyone want to sell me 6-10 from thier new found stock of 50? I will send you cash and I'll have enough for the life time of my Bike? Let me know at:
hapbob03@yahoo.com

Hap

Old 02-27-2010 | 08:44 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member

coupla a things if you ride thru so much brake fluid or other stuff that it is getting on on the oring of your drain plug you gonna be up to your knees in sh*t. lol

Old 02-27-2010 | 09:10 AM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by mtclassic
coupla a things if you ride thru so much brake fluid or other stuff that it is getting on on the oring of your drain plug you gonna be up to your knees in sh*t. lol

, funny, but true.

Old 02-27-2010 | 09:20 AM
BLACK BAGGER
Road Captain

I have a harbor freight o-ring kit lil red box i could not find 1 dam o-ring even close to what i need that really sucks .anybody want my o-ring kit i'll sell it to ya .lol just kidding I am now waiting to see how long before they dryrot & crack .lol

Old 02-28-2010 | 06:40 PM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fitter64
After reading all these posts, I find it very humorous how the change in technology has effected the Harley rider. The fact that the options of different tools and materials could lead to an ongoing conversation of chemistry to physics. I remember years ago we gapped our points with match books (no part #) and cut out head and base gaskets from phone book covers (no part #). Never had a problem with either method. I sometimes wonder if all the technology today was intended to improve our lives or is it just a way to keep making money?. Remember when there was no rubber or plastic, Harley was considered "Real Steel". I admit my Road King is alot nicer ride than my rigid choppers of [Great] days gone by, but sometimes it just makes me wonder WTF, when a bike conversation turns into a NASA debate. It's just me I guess. I like simple. No disrespect to all involved. All I know it's about THE RIDE. It's always been.
There is a bitter sweet irony in your reference to NASA sadly. The Challenger accident was attributed largely to a gungho attitude to the material specification of - you guessed it - an o ring! The effect of temperature on the oring material was not given the due consideration it deserved!

I am not suggesting the temperature extremes on our bikes are the same of course, but that doesn't mean the temp issue is not relevant.

The point has been made a number of times in the thread, it is your call to act or ignore. Viton orings cost pennies extra and they are more suitable for the application. All it requires is that you ask for it when you buy them!

Quick Reply: Drain plug o-rings