Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drain plug o-rings

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009 | 10:52 AM
1stGlide
Cruiser
Smile

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Boys, boys, boys...seems some of you are going totally **** on this "viton-flouroelastomer" thing. My o-rings come from an assortment that can be purchased at just about any hydraulic or bearing supplier. I don't know if they are "buna" or "viton" and I don't really care. I have used these standard black get'um anywhere o-rings for 30+ years in many applications from 3000 psi control valves to drain plugs and oil temps that exceed 200 degrees. Yes, there are special applications where viton and other types are necessary but the drain plugs on a Harley need only a standard buna o-ring just like the one it came with.
I can hear it now...My brain's bigger than your brain. IT'S AN O-RING!

Old 09-15-2009 | 10:53 AM
Sketz
Cruiser

This thread gave me a headache!! Information overload!!

Old 09-15-2009 | 10:56 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Boys, boys, boys...seems some of you are going totally **** on this "viton-flouroelastomer" thing. My o-rings come from an assortment that can be purchased at just about any hydraulic or bearing supplier. I don't know if they are "buna" or "viton" and I don't really care. I have used these standard black get'um anywhere o-rings for 30+ years in many applications from 3000 psi control valves to drain plugs and oil temps that exceed 200 degrees. Yes, there are special applications where viton and other types are necessary but the drain plugs on a Harley need only a standard buna o-ring just like the one it came with.
As stated in an earlier post, we are all big boys and we make our choices. In terms of the drain plug, you may well be right about Nitrile, but if you follow the thread you will note that numerous other orings were also being brought in to the debate and more specifically the fact that these were all common sizes. If you choose to adopt a similar approach then so be it.

My point remains that for the sake of saving pennies you could be costing yourself hours (of valuable riding time!!) doing the job again so why not just do it right first time?

Old 09-28-2009 | 10:41 AM
Jeepin79
Road Master

Thanks for the info, just ordered 50. To bad I did not have these yesterday when I actually needed them.

Old 02-24-2010 | 05:08 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member

Yup thanks for the info Dawg. I got 50 coming my way.

Old 02-24-2010 | 08:21 PM
Moon Rider
Intermediate

Now this is why I read this forum all the time. Always something to learn. Thanks gentlemen.

Old 02-25-2010 | 07:00 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

Every dealer is a little different,and a lot of parts for these machines can be bought elsewhere,saving lots of green.

Old 02-25-2010 | 08:26 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member

The Harley Service Manual suggest using teflon tape. But I think that must be a hold over from the old days because there is no need for tape with an o-ring application and I just don't like those little bits of tape breaking off in the oil. I have been changing oil in everything from lawnmowers to airplanes for 35 years and we never used use a pipe seal or teflon tape. The Harley drain plug is the same as your car and you don't see Ford or Honda suggesting teflon tape. I did use teflon tape on the primary plug on my 02 RK, but that was a strange design that requires some kind of pipe seal application to prevent oil leaking. I never understood the purpose of that design, but I'm glad its changed.

Beary

Old 02-25-2010 | 08:57 AM
Gofer
Cruiser

what have I learned here? Don't screw with SGDiesel or Peddler, them boys know alot of big words! As for the O-ring issue, I take that any fluoroelastomer will work.
Thanks

Old 02-26-2010 | 07:53 PM
ultraherbie
Cruiser

Dam we talking about a o ring, I'll have to go back and see what Dawg said and buy that one.

Quick Reply: Drain plug o-rings