Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

shock lowering kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 01:23 PM
easy4me
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shock lowering kit

Anyone have any long term results using the tj lowering kit on a 2002 up eg? I was given a kit, but don't want to install it if it will cause problems. I noticed it is made of aluminum and some on this site have said to stay with steel. I do lots of 2up riding and some with luggage so there is some weight issues to consider. I have tried the lowering shocks but do not like the ride at all and figured the lowering kit would allow me to keep the stock shocks and the angle of the shock doesn't change with this kit. Has anyone ever heard of one of these lowering kits to break?

Old 08-17-2009, 04:38 PM
hell yes
Tourer
Wink

Well if you look at the angle of the v rod rear shock angle i would not be concerned ,Yet to angle any rear shock will make the ride a bit more taught .In the past i had a boat load of of kz 900 and 1000,s alway,s lowered the rear with the style of lowering block,s Steel is strong and heavy ..try it just move the electrical harness under the fender.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:33 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Anytime you change the angle of a shock it will change the way it works. a shock that is vertical will operate best in that position because it is designed for the weight to go up and down in a straight line. When you put it on a angle it takes less energy for it to move. In other words it adds leverage to the shock. Many has used this type and some said it was okay and some removed it because the way the bike rode, not as comfortable. If it has air shocks you will most likely need to stiffen them to keep from bottoming out and hitting your wiring.

I did a lot of research on the block lowering kits. I was considering adding a set to my bike to get my feet on the ground better. After I discovered this. I ran some tests on my own in my shop and found it to be true. I made other alterations to my seat.

In God we Trust

just my thoughts, nothing more

dd

Old 08-17-2009, 06:45 PM
bsharris
Advanced

I have an 07 Ultra. I went this same round back and forth between shocks and blocks. My best combo is using Street Glide shocks in the rear, Lowering springs in the forks and had my seat shaved down about an inch. The nice thing about this combo is I keep the adjustability of the air shocks and NEVER bottom out. I use about 50 lbs air with two up and about 25-30 solo. Never a problem. The blocks that I had tried with the original shocks would sometimes still allow the bike to bottom out on the fender, didn't matter how much air I put in them.

Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 PM
ryanl
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never used them myself. But have heard enough people that had problems, and potential problems that I would steer clear of any kit that changes the geometry of the factory shocks. Ended up going with the progressives after doing some research, but just found a company that will modify your factory air shocks up to a 2.5" drop. I think Im gonna give them a try.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:12 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I thought about going to the street glide shocks my self. It appeared to be the perfect solution for me. Remember each person is different so what I like you may not like. I got to ride a Ultra with the street glide shocks (1 inch lower than the Ultra shocks). My wife and I agreed it was the same with the 1 inch less travel, had to run too much pressure in the shocks to get a good ride.

Just because my wife and I preferred the 13 inch Ultra shocks over the 12 inch street glide shocks doesn't mean everyone will feel the same.

In God we Trust

dd

Old 08-17-2009, 07:26 PM
FLoTR
Road Master

I have the TJ lowering kit on my RG. They say it doesn't change the angle but I think it does a little. The aluminum they use is a grade with a tensile strength of 50,000 or 75,000 lbs. per sq. in. I checked my material book at work because I too was concerned of the material. I've got 5k on my kit and no problems. I think it'll ride just as stiff as the SG shocks, if not a little more. My buddy "********", says it's stiffer than his '07 SG. I'm not heavy enough to compress the shocks enough to get much use out of them, so every little bump seems a little bigger. Rides like a Caddy when I'm 2 up though.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:32 AM
xmeter
Tourer

I have run numerous kits that I have come across, some with just one setting and some with multiple settings. I have found them all to stiffen up the ride. The lower I went the worse the ride would become.