Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP - My First Problem with 08 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 05:41 PM
aries4155
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - My First Problem with 08 Ultra

I checked for threads on Engine Check light and loss of power but nothing related to 2008.

First I have 37500 miles and have had no problems until now.
I rode 433 miles with the chapter yesterday to the canadian border and back with no issues.
Today I went for a ride about 75 miles, stopped and topped off the gas for tomorrow's commute. The bike started no problem, started to go and then the check engine light comes on and then I have no power.
I limped down to the next gas station, shut the bike off and it started right back up.
I decided to limp home about 5 miles, top speed maybe 30 mph.

I started reading the forum looking for answers, saw mention of gas cap checked that.
I'm ready to try to check engine codes and maybe resetting if possible so this is were I hope the knowledgable members can help find my problem.

I tried a couple of times to try to get an idea what's going on.

If I start the bike and just let it idle the light stays off.
I can burp the throttle a couple of times and it reacts normal but then the light comes on and it sounds like its only running on one cylinder.
I can shut the bike off, restart and it will be normal until you burp it a few times or if you just operate it normal the light comes on and again no power.

I'm really bumming, temps in the 90s, don't want to take the car and dealer is closed until Tue.

I can follow directions fairly well so Please if you have any ideas I'm willing to check them out.

Thanks in Advance.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:49 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,174 Likes on 1,814 Posts

1- Turn Ignition switch to OFF & Run/Stop switch is to Run.

2- Push odometer reset button in & hold.

3- Turn ignition switch to Ignition and release odometer reset button. Background lighting sould illuminate, speedometer needle should sweep its full range and indicator lamps (battery, security, low fuel, check engine and cruise) should illuminate. The word "diag" should then appear.

4 - Push the odometer reset button once and you will see the selection menu "PSSPt" with the first P flashing.

5 - Each letter represents an area of the diagnostics module. The module that is flashing is the one you are going to check. To move from one letter (module) to the next, you push the odometer reset button one time. (from P to S to SP to t and back to P, etc.)
P = ECM/ICM (Electronic Control Module [EFI] / Ignition Control Module [Carbureted])
S = TSM/TSSM (Turn Signal/ Turn Signal Security Module)
SP = speedometer
T = tachometer

6 - To get the DTC within an area of diagnostics, push and hold the odometer reset button in for 5 seconds and release. If there are any DTC's the code will be displayed or the word "none" will appear if there are no DTC's. Push the odometer reset button again to view additional codes if they exist.

7 - Record the codes.

Old 08-16-2009, 05:51 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Click HERE and HERE for the DTC's all but the ABS ones.

Last edited by dawg; 08-16-2009 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 06:20 PM
mnskip
Tourer

Did your have the fuel pump canister recall done? Just asking.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:22 PM
aries4155
Cruiser

dawg thanks for replying.

I checked it out and it came up with P1511 - EFI Power Management Mode.
I have the service manual but looking up EFI it tells me to check Electrical Diagnostic Manual but I don't have that manual.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Old 08-16-2009, 06:23 PM
aries4155
Cruiser

mnskip - I believe the dealer did that for me last year if I remember correctly.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:39 PM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by aries4155
I checked for threads on Engine Check light and loss of power but nothing related to 2008.

First I have 37500 miles and have had no problems until now.
I rode 433 miles with the chapter yesterday to the canadian border and back with no issues.
Today I went for a ride about 75 miles, stopped and topped off the gas for tomorrow's commute. The bike started no problem, started to go and then the check engine light comes on and then I have no power.
I limped down to the next gas station, shut the bike off and it started right back up.
I decided to limp home about 5 miles, top speed maybe 30 mph.

I started reading the forum looking for answers, saw mention of gas cap checked that.
I'm ready to try to check engine codes and maybe resetting if possible so this is were I hope the knowledgable members can help find my problem.

I tried a couple of times to try to get an idea what's going on.

If I start the bike and just let it idle the light stays off.
I can burp the throttle a couple of times and it reacts normal but then the light comes on and it sounds like its only running on one cylinder.
I can shut the bike off, restart and it will be normal until you burp it a few times or if you just operate it normal the light comes on and again no power.

I'm really bumming, temps in the 90s, don't want to take the car and dealer is closed until Tue.

I can follow directions fairly well so Please if you have any ideas I'm willing to check them out.

Thanks in Advance.
Similar problem happend to me yesterday...Search for TBW and you will read threads where guys have had problems with wires for the TBW and an inductor module... Not sure what or where that is, but hope to find out tomorrow when my dealer comes to pick it up.

Old 08-16-2009, 06:52 PM
aries4155
Cruiser

New codes -
After I checked the code the first time I cleared them and started the bike again and I got 6 codes this time.

P0120 - TPS1 Range Error
P0123 - TPS2 High/Open (should this be TPS1 ?)
P0220 - TPS2 Range Error
P0223 - TPS2 High/Open
P1511 - EFI Power management Mode AGAIN
P2135 - TPS Correlation Error

So what is this telling me now?
I was hoping I could get my bike running for work tommorow but I'm losing hope now, just don't know enough about this area of bike yet.

Any ideas ???

Old 08-16-2009, 07:31 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

Sounds like a faulty throttle position sensor or TBW module itself. I have the EDM at home (working now....or supposed to be) so I cannot check the actual verbage as to what the EDM says it will be or how to fix. If still under warranty bring it in and have them check it. I'm sure that they will find a bad sensor and replace it and all will be well.

Old 08-16-2009, 07:34 PM
aries4155
Cruiser

I don't have a warm and fuzzy but looks like the bike wants to go for its normal 130 mile commute tomorrow.

What I did: I was going to do my maintenance soon anyhow and I've noticed the bike backfiring somewhat lately so decided to check plugs.
Front plug didn't look good compared to rear and all the previous plugs.
Replaced plugs, cleared all the codes I had earlier and started the bike.
Everything back to normal, had no problem revving engine and full power.
Rechecked codes and all read None.

So I learned how to read the codes, have a print out of codes, (Thanks dawg) and I need to get a copy of Electrical Diagnostic Manual just because I need to learn all I can.

I don't have a warm and fuzzy going into tomorrow but gotta go for it and see what happens.

This is my first harley, I have 37500 miles and no complaints up to this point.
I have started to wonder what i can expect reliability wise, I switched to Amsoil 6000 miles ago from Syn 3 I've been using since my 1000 mile service. I service my bike every 6000 to 7000 miles. Most of my miles are commute miles with hwy speeds of 75 to 80.

So long time Harley owners what should I start to watch for??

Quick Reply: HELP - My First Problem with 08 Ultra